harpcolumn

A question about fingernails that are

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists A question about fingernails that are

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

I know that playing most harp requires fleshy fingertips, and the nails kept short for this.

carl-swanson
    Participant

David- I studied with Pierre Jamet, one of the great harpists and harp teachers of the last century. He had fingernails just like yours and it didn’t bother him a bit. Actually, my fingernails detach from the skins back from the tip of my finger(I think like most people), and I worried for a long time that that would cause problems. It sometimes does. If I’m not careful I can catch a string with the fingernail instead of the tip of the finger. But I always find a way to avoid that.

Harp technique is a format that helps you use your hand in the most efficient way possible and helps you produce a beautiful sound. But the specifics of any technical approach have to be tailored to your hand and abilities. And much of that fine tuning has to be done by you yourself with the guidance of your teacher. Trust me, you’ll be fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies