Home › Forums › Repertoire › 5 Variants of Dives & Lazarus
- This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 11 months ago by
Alison.
-
AuthorPosts
-
October 15, 2016 at 1:14 pm #197511
elizabeth-motter
ParticipantOk, who has successfully navigated the third variant of this piece? I have been working on it, and it is busting my chops. Any suggestions? I really hate dropping notes, but I am getting desperate and I have started to shed some LH notes.
October 19, 2016 at 1:49 am #197549paula-bressman
ParticipantI’m playing it this weekend and have figured out some fingerings that are letting me navigate it pretty successfully. I am leaving out a few of the inner left hand notes though to get it to 150. Some conductors do take the opening vln solo a tad slower than the rest of the variant though. Shoot me an email and I can email you a scan of my markings. paula.e.bressman@gmail.com
October 20, 2016 at 5:20 pm #197562erin-wood
ParticipantI have a nicely rewritten part making this easier to read. Someone on this site shared it with me and it helped a lot. You can email me at kansasharpist@gmail.com and I will send it.
October 21, 2016 at 7:45 am #197566Alison
ParticipantThanks, Erin, I think that was me (Barbara Fackler and I reworked it) and although I’d seen the request a few days ago haven’t had time or been near my own PC to respond. Alison
October 27, 2016 at 9:46 am #197636Alison
Participantand I have just seen an email wanting me to play this on November 6th, in a local workshop thankfully, but with the usual short notice, no pay kind of request !! Ha – well maybe it’s good revision and I can have a lovely afternoon seeped in this piece.
November 2, 2016 at 1:39 pm #197821Alison
ParticipantI have an interesting excerpt from my Vaughan William biography to add to this but unfortunately its scanned and just over 1 megabyte.
October 19, 2021 at 7:55 pm #260479JackieHarpFan
ParticipantAlison, could I get a copy of the part/fingering that you and Barbara Fackler reworked?
Thanks,
JackieOctober 21, 2021 at 1:07 am #260503Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantHe has a lot of unnecessary doublings. You do not need to play a chord on the downbeat in that tempo, not when the following notes are the same as the chord. It should be two harps to have those notes played. Isn’t this scored for two harps? Yes, it says to have two harps, so harp II should play the chords and harp I the moving notes. It should all be divided. You can always eliminate a tone that is played higher in the right hand, and if he write cgce in the left hand, you only need cge. If he writes cace, you only need to play cae. Get it? I wish I’d known this when I was handed the Sea Symphony out of the blue.
October 23, 2021 at 5:12 pm #260527Alison
ParticipantAh but without losing anything, we reworked it, ostensibly to finger the melody lines and to get rid of the view of the voiced parts which made it so difficult to read.
It was on the radio today, then annoyingly the telephone went, so I listened to it later on a CD.October 23, 2021 at 5:20 pm #260528Alison
ParticipantYes he wanted the harp doubled, I think splitting the part is fine but doubling would be too erratic.
October 29, 2021 at 4:02 pm #260631Alison
ParticipantJackie, whilst I received your email, it came through the harp column website with a noreply@harpcolumn.com email address. Please send me your email address so that I can get this part to you promptly. Regards Alison
November 5, 2021 at 11:36 pm #266918bmccolgn
ParticipantAlison, if you would be so kind, may I also get a copy of your reworked version? My maestro just selected this today, as we cautiously return to in-person concerts–no wind instruments!
November 7, 2021 at 5:59 pm #267168Alison
ParticipantIs there a messaging system on harp column which would allow me to reply directly to an individual & attach pdf files ?
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


