harpcolumn

27 never-before-published pieces by Marcel Tournier!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire 27 never-before-published pieces by Marcel Tournier!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi all,

I just received word that Carl Swanson (harp maker, publisher, and long-time poster on harpcolumn.com) has just released 27 never-before-published pieces by the great Marcel Tournier! They are written for pedal harp and are low to high intermediate level. Thank you so much, Carl, for this and for all that you’ve done for the harp community! https://www.swansonharp.com/marcel-tournier-volume-one-8-intermediate-pieces-for-solo-harp

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Jerusha Amado.
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Thank you Jerusha. Such kind words! These pieces are something that I stumbled on while trying to find some other pieces by Tournier that I did know existed. These will be published in 3 volumes, so this is the first volume right now, with 8 pieces in it. The next volume, with 9 pieces in it, I’m hoping will be released next March, and the last one, with 10 pieces in it, I’m hoping for a year from now.

They are all charming short pieces, 3 to 4 pages long, and in the late romantic style that Tournier learned at the Paris Conservatory in the 1890’s.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Carl, where have these lovely pieces been hiding all these years? So glad you are publishing them!

Is there any news about your edition of “The Children’s Corner”?

Best regards,
    Balfour

carl-swanson
    Participant

Hi Balfour,

It’s a long complicated story. I’m in the process right now of writing an article that I hope will be published in the American Harp Journal. That will explain all of this. In addition to these pieces, I found about 10 more by Tournier that were never published and are not on any inventory of his music. Emmanuel Ceysson just recorded a whole Tournier CD that will be released next year. A lot of the pieces that are on that CD are ones that I found, including 5 songs that Tournier set. I’m really looking forward to that.

The Children’s corner is a long complicated story too. It was going to be published last year, but there was a complication that I can’t go into here now.

I just ordered Carl’s book of 10 pieces by Tournier which includes Vers la Source dans le Bois. I have the old version, and it is so much bother to read and re-learn, I just put it away and look forward to getting a copy with the enharmonics all written in. Thank you, Carl; it’s such a help.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for your kind words. Your book is going out this afternoon. I hope you try some of the other pieces in that edition too. I think you’ll really enjoy them.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Elizabeth, I have thoroughly enjoyed having that same book! It is a fabulous edition, like all of Carl’s works. Today, I ordered his new book, the first eight pieces by Tournier in this new collection that Jerusha was so kind to tell us about here. I can’t wait to receive it–this is so exciting to be able to play and hear these previously undiscovered works by the legendary Tournier!

Harp Hugs, everyone!
    Balfour

Alison
    Participant

I am certainly interested as I keep a separate box file of Tournier works and the “10 pieces” is definitely on my order list, as it will also be handy for teaching, besides which learning a new one is always engaging and handy to have in one’s repertoire. Alison

balfour-knight
    Participant

I received my copy of the new Tournier “Intermediate Pieces for Solo Harp Volume 1” as a birthday present from my sweet wife! These eight pieces, written by a very young Tournier, are just delightful. They make good sight-reading pieces, as the title “Dechiffrage” suggests, they have beautiful melodies which lend themselves to improvising, and sections can be repeated to make them longer. They sound incredibly beautiful on my French Camac Atlantide Prestige!

Carl Swanson has done his usual top-notch job of editing and making these pieces very enjoyable to play for the harpist. Pedal changes are plainly notated, with numerous pedal charts which help to “get your bearings” if you get a little lost in the playing, or change of key signatures.

Thank you, Carl, for preserving and making these little “gems” available to all of us. And, thank you, Jerusha, for posting this thread and letting us know about these!

Get your orders in, everyone, and start enjoying some newly-discovered treasures for our lovely instrument!

Best regards and harp hugs,
    Balfour

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies