unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Musical Toys for Children #107682
    unknown-user
    Participant

    The Met has

    in reply to: Playing for students #83688
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Last summer I did a masterclass with Sarah Bullen. We were focusing on phrase endings in Grandjany’s Fantaisie, and we played the 1st variation together. Not only did that sound incredibly impressive, but it helped a lot. Its a lot easier to repeat something when you are “forced” to do it. So I suppose she WAS playing for me, but by playing together I was able to get instant feedback about which parts of the music she wanted me to work on, down to the note. It was quite the experience.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158442
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Deb, didn’t you return the Egan due to it being too big and not portable enough, and the room you have to keep it in because of the wood heater

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83717
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Leonard,

    I found this thread discussing instructional video/DVD’s. Not sure if its of any use or not.

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/forum/message-view?message_id=1451167

    Good luck!

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83715
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Leonard,

    I’ll make a piano analogy for you. When crossing the thumb under in piano, the thumb reaches as far as it can (ideally all the way to the key its going to strike next) so that there is no gap of sound. When crossing under with the fourth finger it’s

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83713
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Actually, its good that you mentioned this, Sam.

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83712
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That’s all right Kate, that happens to me all the time! In fact I think you touched on a couple things that I didn’t – especially that some people slide on the strings or that adjustments are always needed. It is always in a player’s best interest to not tense up! I was just trying to describe a clear and cut way to accomplish what Leonard asked with leaving anything ambiguous or up for interpretation. What I described SHOULD work perfectly at the mid range and should work reasonably well at low and high ranges with the small adjustments that I suggested. Of course, one should certainly know about the possible ways to refine his technique! But, Leonard, I would say focus on what I told you and then layer on what Kate told you. (while taking everyone else’s comments into consideration, of course!) Kate’s suggestions are more complex and should only be attempted once you have the basics down – and even at that the more complex techniques should be applied conservatively as they require more effort and work, which may or may not be worth it, depending on the situation.

    I also forgot to mention that you should always play in the middle of the strings, unless there’s a reason not to – but thats a different story that you don’t need to here to resolve your issue.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83711
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Whoops!

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83710
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Leonard,

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83709
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Whoops! Spelled your name wrong, Leonard. Sorry about that!

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83708
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Dear Lenoard,

    I think that this is a great question for beginner and I also don’t understand why your question was avoided. There are many posters in this forum who simply ignore the questions posed and patronize the askers. (Not that

    in reply to: Unfair Competition? #149468
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree with Laura. I too started working professionally at a young age, under the guidance of my teacher. She was one of the top players in the country and it was under her recommendation that I start work.

    I was always a member of the union, I always charged union rates or a bit above. I tended to get paid less than other top, or more experiened, players around town. I never hid that I was a student of a high profile teacher. In fact, it was mostly on her recommendation that I got the gigs in the first place!

    I personally think age has nothing to do with it –

    in reply to: needing advice on the Camac Korrigan and the L&H Troubador VI #73508
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Ceren,

    Yes, with most harps the sound does improve with time and playing. but the sound does not totally change!

    Also, Brook is right that Camac and L&H

    in reply to: needing advice on the Camac Korrigan and the L&H Troubador VI #73507
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks a lot Kate and Deb!
    It’s great if their sound gets better and more mellow with time. I actually played pedal harp for a few years, but because lever harps are cheaper, I wanted to play celtic harp.
    OK, I’m going to talk another harpist first and then I’ll make a decision. Thanks again.

    in reply to: Standards #166253
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Here is what I think of YouTube:

    The value in watching a youtube video probably does not lie in learning technique (except, perhaps, when learning an extended technique) and so instead lies in learning how to be a developed musicians. In that sense, any musical performance should help just as equally. I believe that the danger lies in learning to be too flexible with the music. We’ve all done it – played a piece

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 5,570 total)