harpcolumn

needing advice on the Camac Korrigan and the L&H Troubador VI

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories needing advice on the Camac Korrigan and the L&H Troubador VI

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Hi,

Is there anyone who has information on these two harps? ( Troubador VI & Camac Korrigan) Good or bad, I would love to hear from you. I do wish the troubador came with more strings that’s why I was also looking into the Korrigan. I know lots of people are happy with their Troub’ but are there any happy or unhappy Korrigan owners? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carm

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

Well I don’t own a Troubadour but have play one and can honestly say I don’t think it’s anything special. At least to me. That’s not to say it’s bad, just that I have heard and played nicer harps than that one. If I were buying a lever harp I wouldn’t be investing in a troubadour, there are many other harps for the money I’d prefer.

I have never heard nor played the Korrigan.

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Hi Gillian,

If you don’t mind me asking, what are some harps you could suggest that you think may be better? I am more than open to suggestions. I love the Triplett but I don’t think there are any Triplett dealers in Australia ( none that I can find anyway) So I was looking for alternatives. I am not after anything less than 36 strings though.

Thanks Gill

leonard-lim
    Participant

Hi Carmen!
    I own a Camac Korrigan.

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

Didn’t you recently buy a Thom harp? Or am I confusing you with someone else? Well apart from those there are also the Tim Guster (SA) harps which I have heard and played. If you want a nice all wood harp with classic good looks and a sound to match you really can’t do much better. Also very nice looking harps which I incidentally haven’t heard but have a good reputation would be Keith Harrisons harps in NZ. The exchange rate alone would make it worth your while to check out and ship. If you flew there from Oz you could put it in the hold as excess baggage on the way back and save a packet on shipping.

You may also want to chat to Branden Lassells in Gosford NSW, a very reputable luthier here who also has a good reputation for lever harps. He also does repair and restoration work on pedal harps, so he’s very knowledgable.

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

Oh and I have actually seen a Triplett in the flesh here in Oz. It’s a nice sounding harp to be sure but nothing so vastly superior to what we have here that would would warrant spending a fortune importing it. I would venture to say I preferred the sound and feel of the Tim Guster over it. But then I like the high tension strings and pedal harp sound which the Guster and Thoms are very good at replicating. The Tripletts do have a more ethereal sound and folk look. So it’s all a matter of what you are particularly after.

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

So Tim Gusters harps can be seen at

http://www.timguster.com.au, he has both a classic and celtic style harp both 39 strings.

Brandden Lassels can be found here http://www.harps.com.au

And Keith Harrison at http://www.harps.co.nz

Carm,

Did you check out this site:

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

Thanks Gill, Leonard and Briggsie for the input.

Gillian, I did go and have a look at a Thom harp but no I havn’t made a purchase yet. I like them alot but I’m not sure it’s really the sound I’m after. There are so many good harps out there and they are all good for their own special qualities aren’t they? to be honest, I’m a little overwhelmed by the choices available. I will be flying to newcastle on monday so I will have to get into touch with Brendan as he is only an hour away from there. Oh and I did check out Keith Harrison’s and tim Guster’s sites and

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

My advice to anyone buying a harp would be… don’t part with your money until you find the harp you can’t bear to leave behind. That’s what I did and I’ve never regretted my choice. It’s different for everyone and its a big investment, so take your time and get your hands on any harp you can in the meantime.

Gillian Bradford
    Participant

If it helps, the Guster harps have a more mellow bass and a sweeter treble than the Thom.

Carm Zephyr
    Participant

And that’s great advice Gillian, thanks for that. In the meantime I’m going to do exactly that, get my hands on as many harps as I can. I can’t wait for the magical moment I when find ‘The One’ hehehe. It is like that though.

Carm 🙂

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello! I have the same dilemma. I bought a Korrigan today, but I didn’t like its metallic sound. Troubadour’s sound was prettier, but people made me buy this Camac harp. And I thought it was a little bit easier to move. It also has 2 more strings. Which one did you choose & any suggestions? Should I give it back and buy the Troubadour? Troubadour is slightly cheaper btw.

deb-l
    Participant

if you like the Troubadour’s sound better and you can still go back and return the Korrigan, get the harp you like best.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Ceren,

The two

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.