unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Double harp concertos? #166066
    unknown-user
    Participant
    Hi – this CD looks very interesting – I looked on Amazon and Ebay with no luck – any other sources that you might know?

    Thanks,
    John

    in reply to: Any self taught harpists here? BAD HABITS! #166070
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Elly,
    I enjoyed your video!
    My two main comments are the following – there are other little things you could be doing differently, but they not important unless you really want to advance to different music.

    1)You’ve done a good job at placing more than one finger at a time. The problem though, is this – let’s say you’ve placed your 3, 2, and 1 fingers, and you play them in the order I just listed. You play your 3 and 2, and then when you play 1, your wrist pulls back. Don’t do this! Basically, you’re pulling the string with your wrist muscle, but you need to play with your finger muscle. Don’t pull with your whole hand, just your finger. It’s hard, but if you have only one finger placed, when you play it, your hand shouldn’t move at all (except to raise).

    2)When you do play with just your finger, like I described, it’s extremely important for your fingertip to reach down to the bottom of your palm. You know how people wave to a baby? When they do, their fingers (when closed) are more or less flat against their palm, and this is what you want when you pluck a string. So, for instance, if you pluck with your second finger, the finger tip should trace a big circle until the finger tip lands on the palm, down by your thumb muscle.

    Hope that was clear and helps!
    ~Sam

    in reply to: Charging for gigs #146156
    unknown-user
    Participant
    2 hours – 250.00 plus extra 25.00 to 50.00 if the venue has difficult access or I need to use their valet parking – some of the hotels and restaurants in downtown San Antonio are a nightmare to get a harp and equipment in and out and I need to allow substantial extra time to be ready on time.

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harps #157198
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi….this is a little late and you probably have your harp by now. I have a carbon-fibre-composite harp (Andrew Thom) and love it. I had rented a wooden harp from my teacher for about 5 mths before purchasing the Thom harp….and am a beginner, so I don’t have much experience to offer any credible comparison. However, I DO love the sound of this harp. The only reason I did not buy a Heartland harp was that I would have had to risk buying ‘blind’ over the internet (I’m in Oz). I knew it would be the only harp I would ever afford….but already, I am itching to get another harp….and still have my eye on the Heartland carbon-fibre Harps…big and little.

    My harp is still quite heavy (remember, it is composite, not completely carbon-fibre)….I was wondering if you bought the Heartland Harp and could help me understand how it feels different to play a much much lighter harp. For instance, does the lack of ‘resistance’ in harp weight, affect technique ie. do you find yourself using compensatory movements? If my questions sound ignorant, it is because I am. I appreciate all responses.

    (Every time I see those Heartland carbon fibre harps my heart misses a beat.)

    in reply to: Harp Therapist in Kansas City #147702
    unknown-user
    Participant
    Google “Harp Therapy Journal” – that should connect you to folks who can probably help you find someone to interview – plus the back articles could also help with information for your article – there are also several of us who are doing harp therapy in hospitals/nursing homes/hospice
    in reply to: Harp string types #147764
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes I know about string tension. I was merely saying that I think I would prefer a heavy gauge string because that would end up being higher tension when tuned correctly and because I think they would sound better. Are there any strings that I should definitely avoid because of excess tension?

    What is the difference between varnished and oiled gut? How do they feel different/sound different?

    Opinions on Savarez versus Salopian versus the bigger names?

    Also, what are options for wire strings? Something about nickel versus silver?

    I think I’ll send an email to my regulator…
    ~Sam

    in reply to: Harp string types #147762
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Also what are the Savarez strings? Are those the guy-nylon hybrids? I’ve heard those are REALLY bad, because the tension is high. Maybe I’m thinking of a different brand?
    ~Sam

    in reply to: Harp string types #147761
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I think I’m leaning towards switching everything over to gut. I’d also like to try heavy gauge strings because I like the feel and sound of slightly tighter stringing, but I don’t want to use them if the extra tension is not good for the instrument. Are heavy gauge strings more expensive, too?

    I’ve heard from many that Pirastro strings are not at all worth the money, so I don’t think I’ll try those. What are the Salopian or Concedo strings? (Did I spell those right? I can’t see the post that mentioned them…)

    ~Sam

    in reply to: Harp string types #147756
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh, that would be nice!
    ~Sam

    in reply to: Book recommendations please – harps #146717
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Eliza

    Thank you for thinking outside of the square of my request re the Zen practice thing….I have had this described to me and I grok. I will chase this book up as well….actually, I might buy it.

    in reply to: Book recommendations please – harps #146716
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi

    Thanks to all – your replies are printed, filed and handy for my future reference….I may need to live another 40 yrs to get through them all, but I will give it my best shot. I actually WORK in a public library, and although I can pick and choose from online catalogues, I really couldn’t have come to a better place for such heartfelt credible recommendations. Thank you again and take care always. (I will check back in case any more good titles come to mind and pop up on this thread)

    in reply to: Harp string types #147754
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Just replying to my own post in order to move it back onto the home page. Maybe someone will see it tonight…
    ~Sam

    in reply to: harp strings #105617
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Did you have the Pirastro on in your concert last night? I didn’t notice anything unusual about the top… it (the concert) sounded great! On that note, is the Schocker piece published? I LOVED it and think I might have the time to learn it soon.

    ~Sam

    in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144847
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, it’s important for a professional musician to be flexible,
    but also to know where to draw the line so that one’s dignity is not compromised.
    For example, singing and playing James Brown’s “I Feel Good” on
    a national televised talent show may actually make you feel not so good afterward:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1lfqJKGQTs

    in reply to: cross strung (chromatic) harps #71706
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Oh, and this one, the Bach Preludio III:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUG7CLVKsTg

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 5,570 total)