unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86762
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks Pat,

    I would love to hear that recording! I tend to stalk ebay for old recordings, and have found many great recordings of Mimi Allen that way, but I will put the Taka Kling and Louisville Symphony on my list.

    I’ve actually

    in reply to: Dancing Harpists? #111043
    unknown-user
    Participant

    ballet, jazz, ballroom, tap, folk dance, in about that order. To me, playing is dancing.

    in reply to: La Source or Aeolian Harp #111238
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I prefer La Source, its a real goal kicker, a good encore piece. It’s one of those – in some ways – cliched harp pieces. Light, frothy and impossibly romantic…but it works, is finely crafted

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145799
    unknown-user
    Participant

    That is a hilarious and awesome story, David. Now those initial comments were unmistakably rude. Good grief. That is so great how you pulled that off and won them over.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145797
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I will add here that i don’t think people are typically being deliberately disrespectful with such comments. I think what is going on is that the harp is something that grabs people’s attention. Most people aren’t used to seeing harp and harpists. They take notice and comment. The exchange is usually so quick that they don’t put much thought into the comment. Those types of jokes are the most common and quick to come by. It’s just another way of saying, “Oh wow, a harp”. Doctors and lawyers don’t get the comments because their professions do not grab attention in the same way.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145796
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hey Basel, I’ve been wondering how you are doing. I will certainly email you soon.

    I just got home from a marvelous gig, but did encounter all the comments. Here they are:

    “If you played violin, you’d already be home.”
    “What is that?… Don’t drop it”

    It’s okay though, I get my satisfaction when I see the look of confusion an mild panic on their faces as they dodge out of my way as I forge through the crowd with my great big harp, streamrolling down the sidewalk with that steely, determined look in my eyes. :oO

    in reply to: Watership Down score #104555
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks, Mary. I was looking around a bit as well and was disappointed to find very little. I think I will buy the soundtrack and transcribe it. The book and movie mean a great deal to me. It would make a great summer project. I would like to make a suite of the themes for flute and harp.

    in reply to: Watership Down score #104554
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Then I made the mistake of getting curious, and scrounging around some more. I hope this helps, Julie – here’s very nearly the only vocal sheet music I could find for:

       BRIGHT EYES

    Book Condition:   Condition: G+

    Seller ID:   22410

    Composed Mike Batt (Picture): Featured in film ‘Watership Down’ by Art Garfunkel (Picture): Sheet Music:

    sheet music song voice/piano music

    Price = 4.00 GBP

    http://www.musicbythescore.co.uk/si/22410.html

    http://www.biblio.com/search.php?dealer_id=58211&keyisbn=bright+eyes+by+mike+batt&stage=1

    Bookseller : Music by the Score [X]  All words : bright eyes by mike batt [X]

    Results 1 – 1 of 1

    Page: 1

    BRIGHT EYES

    Composed Mike Batt (Picture): Featured in film ‘Watership Down’ by Art Garfunkel (Picture): Sheet Music: … (more information)

    Offered by Music by the Score (Cornwall, United Kingdom)

    in reply to: Watership Down score #104553
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Did some more scrounging around the ‘net – guess Angela Morely is the composer of the Watership Down film score, and that Hansson was inspired by the book. Here’s from her site:

    http://www.angelamorley.com/site/credits.htm

    chamber music arrangement:

    “Kehaar’s Theme for alto sax & piano”

    contact: underscore@angelamorley.com

    She’s in Scottsdale, Arizona, according to her website

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145794
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I suppose this idiodic comment is my own, but often when moving my harp with cover on people will ask, “What is that?”. I tell them it is a giant oven mit that i am using to bake giant cookies. :o)

    in reply to: Go Ahead Without a Teacher? #162990
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks, everyone, for all of your comments and advice! I actually found a teacher – for a month- and then she had to move away. Kinda figures, but it was nice while it lasted. Anyway, thanks so much and good luck!

    in reply to: Watership Down score #104552
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Try writing to Watership composer Bo Hansson’s “Silence” record label:

    http://www.silence.se/default_eng.asp (English version of the Swedish site.)

    Main Office in Koppom:

    Silence Records,

    ATTN: Eva Wilke

    Naved, 670 41 Koppom

    Sweden

    email: eva@silence.se

    Phone: +46571 150 50

    Mobile: +4670 577 27 10

    Bo Hansson’s website

    http://www.silence.se/bohansson/

    Recordlabel/Press:

    Silence Records

    joakim@silence.se

    And ask what’s available. DO please tell what results.

    BTW, the CD of the Watership Down soundtrack is available , new or used, on Amazon.com. If you are good at melodic dictation, try taking down the tunes by ear and making your own arrangements if no fake books nor lead sheets are for sale. But maybe, just maybe Hansson might have a tunebook available?

    in reply to: Dancing Harpists? #111039
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve danced in the morning when the Ren Faire was begun…

    There I was at the Maryland Renaissance Festival as a street musician (subbing for a guit-picker) in full skirted garb with a tiny harp snugged in a knotted shawl to play standing up (this was pre-harpsicles), when fiddler Cathy Palmer says, “Oh by the way, Mary, we have a dance routine for this set of tunes..” “We WHAT!?! says I?” Sure, says she: step, step, step, turn twice, step, step, step, slide right, slide left, repeat… All this instruction while jamming on dance tunes with half the harp tuned in one key, the other half in the upcoming key, finding the chords on the fly by ear.

    Not quite like Monty Python’s Yellowbeard (stagger, stagger, crawl, crawl), but it sure felt like it at the time.

    Fun, though. Yes, all those lessons at junior high cotillion came in handy. You never know what will be useful, you never know where your career might take you. Being able to count, having a good sense of rhythm & timing from dancing – perhaps think of it as cross-training for musicians.

    in reply to: Dancing Harpists? #111038
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Martini time again is it?

    Cheers!

    in reply to: Go Ahead Without a Teacher? #162989
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I have a lap harp, I/ve been playing for 10 years and have never even met a teacher, I’m in a folk rock band “The Scuttlers” (If you google my space /The Scuttlers we are eazy to find)We have recorded C.d’s we are very well recieved on “Celtic Radio ‘ and popular on myspace

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 5,570 total)