Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: fly-away pedal #69894
    Tacye
    Participant

    I don’t quite see how a loose pedal can fly away, but gloop (beeswax maybe) in the pivot might form a temporary amelioration.

    in reply to: Compare & Contrast #69870
    Tacye
    Participant

    Personally, I would suggest that an adult in that position makes an emotional decision – if you fall in love with an instrument you will practice more and so progress more and enjoy playing.

    in reply to: All-purpose pedal harp #156188
    Tacye
    Participant

    1) Volume is the least of the reasons lever harps are infrequently found in orchestras – the composers were writing for pedal harps which have a different tone and very different capabilities.

    in reply to: Pedal harps for petite players #69837
    Tacye
    Participant

    I find the Pilgrim Aldeburgh and Malvern models have a great balance for a shorter player – if you do want 47 strings, extended soundboard and quite possibly an international trip to try them…

    in reply to: Music stand #69957
    Tacye
    Participant

    Pilgrim harps tend to bring one (or more) to their displays – nice things.

    in reply to: Erard Harp #70020
    Tacye
    Participant

    That is a high number for Paris and the online ledgers for the Paris output http://www.sebastienerard.org/en/?m=registres
    don’t go that high.
    However, no 3004 was sold in 1903.
    Value depends almost entirely on condition and probably as a playing instrument rather than collectable.

    in reply to: Best way to re-string an Entire Harp? #70032
    Tacye
    Participant

    How old are your wires?

    in reply to: Buying First Harp #155273
    Tacye
    Participant

    When I thought about buying a harp I decided to put it into a cart
    and check it out to see how much the final cost will be. So I wouldn’t
    be hit with anything horrible last minute.

    Ah, I think

    in reply to: Research Project #156167
    Tacye
    Participant

    Marie Antoinette is often blamed for a lot of this.

    in reply to: Buying First Harp #155270
    Tacye
    Participant

    Fair enough- I have come across several people who took shipping into account, but not taxes.

    in reply to: Buying First Harp #155267
    Tacye
    Participant

    You say A level – are you in the UK?

    in reply to: Best way to re-string an Entire Harp? #70023
    Tacye
    Participant

    The harp doesn’t care what order the strings are changed, and you might as well change them all more or less at the same time so you only have to put up with the strings settling once.

    I would take 4 or 5 off at a time as a manageable number you won’t have to leave half done.

    in reply to: Considering purchasing a 65-year-old LH 17, Gold #70082
    Tacye
    Participant

    Unless the music is out of copyright you should be aware that photocopying other people’s music is not permitted and also unfair to those musicians who have put time and often money into writing and publishing it.

    There are some good resources for out of copyright music, you will find some older music on Morley harp’s website and also the IMSLP/Petrucci site.

    in reply to: Making the jump from levers to pedals? #156224
    Tacye
    Participant

    If you are looking to buy 2nd hand I would encourage you not to get your heart set on a particular model.

    in reply to: pedal versus lever gauge (?) = lever problem? #156244
    Tacye
    Participant

    Are you sure you aren’t confusing the lacquer with the (wood) veneer?

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,469 total)