harpcolumn

Surface burrs on (nylon) strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Surface burrs on (nylon) strings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I have a harpsicle, my first harp of any kind.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Mike,

When I got my

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Mike,

Forgot to tell you.

I don’t know what you are describing, but Pirastro strings have a slighly scaly surface compared to other nylons, which I think is better, it gives you more grip.

This isn’t the sort of roughness that I’d get if some varnish had gotten on the strings.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Just thought of something.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I can tell you that my Harpsicle didn’t have anything resembling burrs on its strings when I got it…I’ve had it a little less than a year.

I bought my harpsicle direct from Rees, so it would all go direct to him.

I’ve just taken a much closer look.

For those people who requested follow-up on the matter….

I’ve now met with my soon-to-be instructor (Eva Murphy), and she’s never seen anything like these burrs, either.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Since your harp teacher has seen the strings and agrees that they are not normal strings, you should probably change the strings to be on a safer side.

Yes, I would very much like to know the follow-up from Rees.

So would I.

unknown-user
    Participant

Mike,

I’ve been in contact with Rees recently (not about your strings) and commented about some outdated material on their website.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I just ordered the pickup kit for the harpsicle last Friday.

…and now, after a second email (I never had a chance to call during business hours, so I tried another email) I’ve gotten a response from Garen, who seems to answer all the email.

I’m sorry to here [sic] of the strange burrs on the strings. I’m not sure what would have caused them as we have never experienced this problem before. It was probubly [sic] just a few bad strings that we received from Robinson’s harp shop. For your trouble I have sent you a free set of extra strings that should arrive within 3-5
    Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Thanks for the update.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies