Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
sherry-lenox
ParticipantDwyn’s response is so yummy that I wish I had a grandchild!
The cardboard harps, at least the backyard harp, are not fragile at all. Mine has been through “the wars” without mishap, including a period of time when it was rented.
I am thrilled that you have had Orff training, so you know that Orff and Kodaly march along hand-in-hand, and what you’ve done so far sound just delightful.
I think the cardboard harps,again the Backyard ones, are still going for less than $300, and I doubt that the investment would be a waste of money. If you decided having gotten it that you’d want to get into levers yourself, the little harp would still be a perfectly usable harp for a little girl until she were ready to graduate to your bigger one.
Lucky Maddalena that she has a musical mom who is ready and able to encourage her dreams!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantIt has been my unfortunate responsibility and obligation to visit “The Knot” recently, and if you read the forum there, you will be dazzled by the depths to which the current brides are willing to go.
All that stuffy stuff is OUT, and in is something groovy and jivey and just plain fun to trip down the aisle to.
It really is enough to drive a musician to despair.
I just hope nobody in my family ever feels the need to plan this sort of “ceremonial” music!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantThe very best beginning music instruction there is (MO) is Kodaly, but she’s actually a little too young even for that. You are probably doing what she needs right now with singing, listening, and playing.
Kodaly plants the seeds beginning at about 4 for music literacy and appreciation, and it’s so much fun!sherry-lenox
ParticipantTake a look at Backyard Harps and Muscmaker’s “cardboard” harp too. The only reservation I’d have with the harpsicle is that it’s entirely wood, and would hurt if she ever fell on it or over it.
The cardboard harps sound very nice, light tension, low initial cash outlay. Although the backyard harp wouldn’t work for you, it might be just right for a tiny prodigy!sherry-lenox
ParticipantI wish the same thing. They’re heavy but they certainly do sound nice.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantI appreciate your responses so much! This project has become so much more interesting than it seemed when I began. The more information I find or am given about Dussek, the more interesting he becomes!
Thanks again.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantAre your sight reading problems coming from difficulty with rhythm, finger technique, reading the notes, or something else.
I think it’s important to analyze your efforts to determine what you need to do to correct.
Practicing more music can only help if you are not playing subjectively. If you are playing the same kinds of errors as you had problems with, and playing them wrong, you can make your sight reading problem worse instead of better.
Is there someone you know who is a good sight reader who can help you zero in on what your goals should be?sherry-lenox
ParticipantVery interesting! I’m using this selection as an example for a course that I’m taking in form and analysis, so your comment is especially valuable to me.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantWill this be made available as an eBook? (Hope that isn’t a stupid question).
sherry-lenox
ParticipantThere will be other brands of harps available to you that will be more consistent and almost the same price.
Ask a harpist to help you evaluate some other choices.
You will make a more intelligent decision if you see other harps before you choose one brand to buy.
If you have seen other harps you will be able to compare them to the Breton Harps.sherry-lenox
ParticipantI learn something new every day, Barbara! I must have been really lucky to get something that was gentle, but I love microfiber for lots of uses, so next time i buy the stuff I’ll be sure to check the strength before I make trouble for my self.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantThe safest and most effective thing I’ve found is a micro fiber cleaning cloth, dry.
I personally prefer not to use anything wet or moist, and my harps gleam like the dickens after a thorough rubdown.
I buy them at COSTCL.sherry-lenox
ParticipantMusic has to get louder, because most over 30s are now hearing less than people three times their age were hearing before the advent of AMPLIFIED MUSIC, which is one bane of my existence followed close second by tempi that have nothing to do with music.
I listen to a lot of performances on YouTube, especially of things I always loved to play when I was at the top of my game, able to do anything technical that anyone threw at me, and while there are a few random criticisms of fast loud performances, there aren’t many.
It’s possible that compared to most posters here, I am REALLY REALLY old, but when I was playing 30-40 years ago, music WAS slower.
Mechanical music is different than electronic, ultra fast, ultra loud music but there aren’t enough OLD people left, so the young folk just love to hear it loud enough to rattle your liver and fast enough so that a human ear can’t perceive it.
sherry-lenox
ParticipantThe blog post by Sam Milligan is so fascinating, and I did miss it even though I do visit the blogs every once in a while.
The post is a great read even if you’re not especially interested in the topic!
sherry-lenox
ParticipantI gave a copy to my teacher as a holiday present, and of course I thumbed through before I wrapped it.
The pictures alone are worth the price of admission, but the the whole thing together is worth much more.
I can’t imagine any harpist I know who wouldn’t find it delightful.
As Saul says, go buy a couple copies.
The only single thing I’d love would be if it were available as a library bound edition- I would have purchased one for our local library on the spot.
-
AuthorPosts