shannon-schumann

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Expectations #83127
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    That’s an interesting philosophy. I’m happy my physician’s teacher didn’t have that same philosophy!

    Well… If you think it’s a good use of my

    in reply to: Expectations #83115
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    OH, PS, I meant to say that I also feel comfortable going to my teacher at any time with a previously worked piece to get a deeper understanding of sections that I need to work on, or just to perform and get a big-picture critique/coaching. So YMMV.

    in reply to: Expectations #83114
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I am with Misty, except I woudn’t even bother to ask permission. My teacher is the same way — I work on something until I basically have it, and then we go on to something that has new concepts for me to learn. Her philosophy is that I pay her to learn things, and that polishing is not learning – I can polish on my own. So in my practice time, I have a

    in reply to: Why do you play the harp? #102574
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    Since Comic Con

    in reply to: share your music history? #105805
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I play Simple system flute (the keyless kind you are talking about) in an Irish band, but

    Noel Rice http://www.baaltinne.com/

    And Joannie Madden http://www.cherishtheladies.com/

    Are both fabulous pros in the Celtic music scene who play silver flute.

    in reply to: Harp regulation #157179
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    You can get it from Kolacny Music in Denver. David Kolacny (and everyone else there) is super nice. But who wouldn’t be nice, surrounded by harps all day long? :-)

    http://www.kolacnymusic.com/harps_sale.htm?PHPSESSID=67453cb8c97bc1dded387e3d39d4aed7

    in reply to: SOME PEOPLE!!!! #105672
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    OH – I was a student worker in the music office when I was in college. Some lady called the office to ask us what a harp was. At least she had the sense to be embarrassed about having to ask. The only way I could think to explain it over the phone was to tell her that a harp was that thing that all the angels played.

    in reply to: Teachers in the Boulder CO area? #83031
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    Of course, you’ll want to check out the music department at CU. But also, try Kolacny’s music in Denver for contacts.

    http://www.kolacnymusic.com/

    in reply to: Parable #147812
    shannon-schumann
    Participant
    in reply to: Limerick lap harp vs. Fullsicle #70880
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I can’t speak about the Limerick, but I own a Fullsicle and have played a Ravenna. I prefer the Ravenna. The string tension on the lower half octave on the Fullsicle is *very* loose, to the point that if you are not careful, the tone suffers. The only advantages I can think of to the Fullsicle over the Ravenna are that the Fullsicle is smaller and lighter (it does fit in an airplane overhead compartment — I have done it), and the price.

    in reply to: Wood boring beetles and harps #72231
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I don’t know where you live, but if you live in the United States, your county extension office might have some very good advice. Even if you dad decides not to call an exterminator, there might be things you can do to protect the harp. Good luck – you are definitely in my thoughts!

    in reply to: Danish tunes for a wedding #148407
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    Perhaps something by Beth Kolle?
    http://www.bethkolle.com/

    in reply to: Ash Wednesday suggestions? #157725
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I have been working on an arrangement of Come Thou Fount, arranged by Pam Ohms. This melody would work nicely for Ash Wednesday. It’s in Eb, with no lever changes, but was kind of tricky for me, who’s still beginning.

    http://www.folkharp.com/product/come-thou-fount

    in reply to: expressive playing #83611
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I am not a harp teacher, but the way I **learned** to play (piano) expressively happened by accident — I was playing something from West Side Story for my lesson, and my teacher commented on how much more expressive I was with a song that had words. Ever since then, I’ve either put words to melodies, sung melodies to myself (la la la), or treated each piece as a program piece by describing scenes that the music evoked to me.

    in reply to: Column Theory #72988
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    Well, it’s testable, to some extent. You could alter the column of a harp by wrapping something (soft, or lined with something soft) around it, and compare the difference of sound with no wrap, and with differently arranged wraps. Then all other variables would be held constant.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)