shannon-schumann

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149224
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    @ Dave Ice

    Oh, I meant the other way. There is no way I’m able to play harp even in an easy ensemble. How does an community orchestra go about luring in a harpist? It’s not been my experience that this is an easy thing to do, but it sounds like it’s just a matter of knowing where to look.

    sorry.. .I was definitely not clear!

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149221
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    @ Dave:

    Lovely! I sometimes play in the Musica Nova Baroque, btw.

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149220
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    How do we find them? I have never played in a community orchestra that could convince one to play with them. I know the quality isn’t consistent in these groups, and I’ve played in some that had problems as well as some very fine ones, but every one of them has had to resort to a synthsizer because they couldn’t find a real harpist who would do it. Do you have some tips for how we could start? thx!!

    in reply to: Ouch! Replaced by a Synthesizer? #149215
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I’m an oboist in a civic orchestra, and my experience is that it is *very difficult* to find a harpist for this kind of group. I have never played in a group (other than in college) that had a real harpist — it has been synthesizers, all the way.

    I would love to play with real harpists. The music, other musicians, and audience deserve a real harpist. HOWEVER, now that I’m studying harp, I can understand why it’s so hard to find a real harpist. The players in these groups are volunteers. If I were skilled enough to be a harpist in a group like this, I would have to weigh heavily the commitment required with the possible benefits.

    For me, being able to sit in an orchestra and play the New World or Pictures at an Exhibition or Adams Chairman Dances is what I live for. I recognize what a responsibility it is, and what a privileged life I live that I am allowed to realize these works for other people to hear. There is nothing more moving. But that’s me. If I had to rely on music for my income, the realities of the opportunity cost of not being able to take paid gigs that conflict with my volunteer orchestra gig would weigh heavily. And even if I had a secure income, if I had to figure out how to transport an 80 pound 6 foot tall instrument every week to “experience” the Nutcracker, instead the little briefcase that I have, I am not so sure that I would make the same choice.

    in reply to: new harp + strings #73319
    shannon-schumann
    Participant

    I wanted to give an update. After a while, the harp sounded better. Then worse, then better….. I have been up in the air about what to do about this harp, until I found the problem.

    I sitting directly under a ceiling fan! I have a guitarist friend who has mentioned that this happens to him, too, but didn’t put two and two together until just the other day. Now I turn the fan off when I play, and all is well.

    Who would have thunk it?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)