harpcolumn

share your music history?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break share your music history?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

‘Irish flute and pennywhistle (with a little bouzouki thrown in) for
    about the last six years. The session scene is easily the best
    combination of great music and social network I’ve found.’

John McK, do you play the wooden Irish flutes?

John McK
    Participant

Well, another forumite is getting my Thor Serenade on Tuesday. . . I’m going to be getting an early music harp at some point soon to replace it. THAT is like breaking up with a serious girlfriend

deb-l
    Participant

I almost got a keyless flute from Patrick Olwell years ago, bamboo, but discovered the harp shortly thereafter.

John McK
    Participant

Talk about the one that got away! Olwell bamboos have appreciated a great deal in the past 6 years or so. My own flute. . . venerable is probably a better description than beautiful.

I’m actually *not* lefthanded in the traditional sense – when I started playing highland pipes, I sat ___across the table____ from my first teacher and _mirrored_ everything she did. Literally mirrored it – hence, my right hand is always on top of my left for woodwinds. It was months before we discovered the issue.

I’m torn between a Campbell Boston and something more along the lines of the Wartburg harp. I absolutely love the hollow-sounding twang of smaller early harps, but they lack a lot in the oomph department. I can’t afford a Thurau but that would be ideal.

deb-l
    Participant

He said he was planning on discontinuing the bamboo, it was such a great price too..

I listened to Therese Honey’s youtube video of the Boston, you weren’t kidding when you said more traditional, what a great bell like sound, love the look of it too.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I wanted to play the harp after the first time I saw one, when I was five years old.

deb-l
    Participant

I had to look up Carillon and it might be the coolest instrument ever.

deb-l
    Participant

John I just came across the Thurau website.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Not yet, but we are thinking about it.

rod-wagoner
    Participant

Viola, then Tuba which was my primary in music school at Ohio University.

John McK
    Participant

Right-on about the independent hands thing!

I’ve had a few chances to try out a friend’s button accordion about a year ago. . . talk about a weird instrument. . .

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Ron- I have Wurlitzer C, #696, that I dearly love, and I’m also a rehabbed music teacher. I’ve studied for almost 4 years with a wonderful harpist, and although harp is, in fact harder than any instrument I ever learned to play, I think it’s also one of the easiest to love.

The C is a beautiful harp. Depending on your serial #, you will either have a fancy C or a classic C (my own identifiers, they are ALL spectacular).

Are you studying with a harpist or self-teaching?

Be sure to post more about your Model C!

Best wishes- Sherry L

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

I took some piano lessons at 5 years old. Teacher told my parents I was too young, but I think I didn’t do well because at that time no one had figured out that my eyesight was terrible. But I learned enough that I can’t ever remember a time when I didn’t know how to read music. Began taking piano again about the time I learned trumpet at 10 years old. Then I couldn’t keep my hands off any instrument the band director would let me take home, so I am familiar with the basics of most band instruments. Settled in with French Horn in college. After marriage I hit a musical dry spell until our 25th anniversary when I fell under the enchantment of a harp. Been hooked for the past 10 years.

Ann

Hi Deb, I hope you don’t mind my weighing into this thread late. I love hearing other people’s stories, and want to share my own.

I started piano lessons at about age 5. Despite taking lessons on and off for another 10 years, I never got any good at it. But it gave me a foundation and taught me sight reading and a lot of music theory. My sister played/plays the violin. My mother always hoped we’d do violin/piano duets, but we never put it together.

I was in choirs and choruses all through school, and sang a lot right up to about age 40. I took up guitar around age 12 and did the pop/folk thing for decades, again till about age 40 when I sort of outgrew it.

I desperately needed a new creative direction. I’d always wanted to play the oboe, but at 40 I figured double reeds were too difficult, so I took up the flute. I loved it and became totally addicted. It was the perfect blend of

shannon-schumann
    Participant

I play Simple system flute (the keyless kind you are talking about) in an Irish band, but

Noel Rice http://www.baaltinne.com/

And Joannie Madden http://www.cherishtheladies.com/

Are both fabulous pros in the Celtic music scene who play silver flute.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.