Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantGut strings will be worse, not better. They sustain even less. The strings might be old or poor quality. It may be the acoustic environment in which you are recording. High notes need high ceilings in which to reverberate. Oddly, in my experience, it is the bass that supports the ringing of the high notes. How fresh are your wire strings? And, I would buy that bionic 23 I hear about.
With nylon strings, the tone is greatly affected by the condition of your skin. Have your callouses developed a hard surface? You need to sand them lightly every week if you are practicing three hours a day or more. Use a very fine sandpaper, then rinse off your fingertips before playing.
Your harp is relatively young. They used to take 15 years or more to develop in the top. Compensate for it, but don’t worry unless it’s just dead.
October 5, 2010 at 11:55 pm in reply to: Vers la Source dans le bois – anyone made an edition with the enharmonics? #149328Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantMy copy has disappeared, and it took a long time to figure out, so I would like a copy, too.
October 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm in reply to: Information needed about Grechaninov Bachkiria Fantasy & Naderman /Tulout: Nocturne #149365Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantCan you request a library to order it for their collection so you can study it? I had to pay extremely high shipping to get music from Fuzeau, from di-arezzo, so it is the same here. I made the best of it by buying as much music as I could to go in the same package. It was fun and worth it. I hope you are not opposed to spending on music. The Mozetich is a finely crafted piece. There are other pieces you could get from the same source, like those by Milton Barnes.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIf you are playing, or going to be playing professionally, then you should certainly have the best possible instrument. Our first instruments are often only the first and not the only or last.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI have a recording made on a harp that had belonged to Marie Antoinette.
October 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm in reply to: Information needed about Grechaninov Bachkiria Fantasy & Naderman /Tulout: Nocturne #149363Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantPerhaps you can find collections of Bashkir folk songs and see if any match. Otherwise, you might have to find someone from Bashkir to see if they know any of the songs. There’s nothing very particular about the Nocturne, it is typical of its time. You did ask who recorded the works.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantFor middle school, I would suggest a simple demonstration of the acoustic properties of strings, the overtones and harmonics,
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThe trouble with that is if the players around you know you are faking.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI will have serious ensemble music available in a year or so.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIt was no better in the 1980s when I came out of school. At least now it is far easier to find out about auditions, especially in Europe. No one should depend on getting a full-time orchestra position. Opera repertoire is its own world and requires a lot of preparation. It is a special skill to me.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantDid anyone obtain the repertoire list?
September 30, 2010 at 2:45 am in reply to: Information needed about Grechaninov Bachkiria Fantasy & Naderman /Tulout: Nocturne #149361Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantErica Goodman recorded the Nadermann Tulou, and I think a duo called East Wind recorded the Grechaninov. Where do you do your research?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantMy first pedal harp was a Washburn that belonged to the public school system, and they had painted it pea-green and brown. It was horrific. How unfortunate that I didn’t realize we could have bought it and had it restored.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantWhat is good about Tournier’s not writing it as played is that you can see what he is doing harmonically. Many pieces, you would not have a clue if they were written only as played. It’s a bind.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIf you can get a copy of it, Salzedo’s editing really helps.
-
AuthorPosts