harpcolumn

Venus vs Lyon & Healy

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Venus vs Lyon & Healy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I am interested in hearing from members of the community who have a

basis for comparison of the Venus Traditional with the L & H Style 17.

I am researching the purchase for my daughter.

My e-mail is whiz@ruhs.uwm.edu

Thanks

Wiz

unknown-user
    Participant

Frankly, I think you would be happier with the L&H.

unknown-user
    Participant

We are also researching the comparison between L & H and Venus for our daughter.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have a Venus Paragon and also played L&H 23, plus Salvi Minerva for about 12 years. I spent almost the same amount of time on each of them. To me, the Paragon and LH23 are not much different. But I also played on other’s LH23, it’s really personal. Each harp developed different sound according to the owner. I know you are asking about Venus Tradition and LH17. LH got more chance when you might want to sell it in the future. Moneywise, you can have more than one harp. One for gigs, like parties. The other one for orchestra or solo recital. Venus is cheaper, but it doesn’t mean bad. Just something you can afford to haul around. By the way, how old is your daughter? I know some young harpists don’t know how to take good care of their instruments. Make sure to let her understand, the better you treat your instrument, the better sound you will have.

unknown-user
    Participant

I recently went on a similar quest for a new harp, needing to choose between a Venus harp and a Lyon & Healy harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

My response would be that L&H is best.

unknown-user
    Participant

I own two Venus 46-string harps….a Traditional in birdseye maple and a Protege in two tone walnut/maple.

One of the reasons I got the Venus semi-grand is because of the range: low C to high F, rather than the low D to high G of the L&H or Salvi. I have had the need for the low C on many, many occasions with orchestras but have not needed the high G.

I think Venus is more harp for the money. All Venus does is harps. They have less overhead, since they don’t do sheet music and trinkets, so they can probably charge less for their harps than L&H.

I think owning a harp is very personal. I’ve played all kinds of harps and have never played a new model L&H that was satisfactory to me….I love the Venus sound. Others may prefer the L&H sound.

I also felt that Venus took more of a personal interest in my harp design, working with me to make sure the finish was correct, etc. The harp was even delivered to my front door by one of the Venus employees himself…..I’m afraid it would be a cold day in hell before L&H would drive one of their harps to my front door!

Darhon Rees-Rohrbacher

unknown-user
    Participant

I was stunned to read the comments about Venus Harps on

this website.

unknown-user
    Participant

When I wanted to purchase a pedal harp, my teacher suggested a trip to Chicago in order to check out the places where L& H and Venus are actually built.

I was impressed by both companies.

HBrock25
    Participant

the first harp i played on was my teacher’s venus diplomat.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you, Venus and Ms. Adams!

Alicia D. Strange
    Participant

I see on theVenus website that they have

unknown-user
    Participant

Alicia, The High Performance harps Venus had at the AHS2006 were awesome and blew the socks off of many harpists both of great and little fame.

Alicia D. Strange
    Participant

That’s very exciting news, thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

leonard-lim
    Participant

Wow!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies