column

New Book – Harp For Today

Home Forums Teaching the Harp New Book – Harp For Today

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cynthy-johnson
    Participant

I just received my copy of “Harp for Today” – the Universal Harp Method by Susan McDonald and Linda Wood Rollo – wow!!

The book is wonderful!!!

No, but I’m annoyed because I was planning to write a universal harp method. By the way, Bochsa was the first to use that title.

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

Wonderful – I will be awaiting your first edition!

–Cynthy

tony-morosco

I haven’t but I have been really wanting to check it out. I really like Kondonassis’ book. The exercises and warm ups are great and all the photos of hand position are excellent references.

When I read through the table of contents of this new book I found it very impressive. I am glad to hear that the reality of it is as good as the T.O.C. makes it look.

For the record I would be thrilled if Saul put out a book as well. The more references and options the better and from my experiences with Saul here I have no doubt any book he put out would be worth checking out.

I know this is an old thread, but I am working on a college research paper comparing and contrasting the Salzedo/Chalifoux/Kondonassis technique with the French school (Renie/Grandjany/McDonald) and wondered if any of you had thoughts on Kondonassis’ ‘On Playing the Harp’. Are there any “French school” players that have/have not found it helpful?

If you want to post thoughts on the Kondonassis technique in general, feel free 🙂

I personally love the layout and thoroughness of the book, but since I use more of the French technique, I’m not sure how helpful it will be in my own teaching…

Thank you, Tony! How inspiring to hear that. I have been working on and off on several ideas.

As for this paper, I note that you don’t seem to be comparing exact duplicates, in that I don’t believe McDonald was a pupil of Granjany’s, so a more-exact comparison might be Hasselmans-Salzedo-Chalifoux-Kondonassis and Hasselmans-Renie-McDonald. I think you should also read the book “French Pianism” for background. It is very relevant.

One of the areas where you will find the most divergence will be fingerings and transcriptions, which are conveniently print-oriented and easy to compare.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.