Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,356 through 2,370 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Failures in lessons #86025

    There are also those who practice their lesson material a little, but spend most of the time on other things, as I once did, so the prepared work falls apart. It may be a lack of practice technique, insufficient drilling. I learned the hard way that every thing has to be repeated TEN TIMES RIGHT!

    One solution is daily lessons. Miss Lawrence insisted that twice-weekly lessons were the bare minimum. How can we expect young people to work as adults can?

    in reply to: Master Classes #86108

    Good choice.

    in reply to: Scholarships for Foreign Students #86258

    Yes, my college had a special foreign-student program, but it is perhaps unusual in that. I just heard that Curtis gives no aid for the first six months, due to some kind of residency requirement.

    in reply to: Certification for Harp #161640

    Britain is the only country I know of with formal certifications. There are no such set formats in the U.S. unless you elect to follow the British model. We are free to progress or flounder as we choose. I like the format of the AHS music evaluation auditions, which provide feedback and opportunity for growth without restricted repertoire. I think they should be held annually in every chapter, or the equivalent. Studio teachers with enough students should consider bringing in an outside juror on a regular basis.

    in reply to: a warm tone or bright tone in a harp–which do you prefer? #109853

    I like both, and have it with my harp. The warmth had to develop with age. If you buy a harp that starts out warm, where does it go? Does it get so dark it doesn’t carry? A bright harp is likely to warm up with time. Still, the last time I tried new harps, the warm 100 Grand got me.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102841

    It seems many of these responses are not in scale with the poster’s position.

    in reply to: New harpist= 14 year old ! #161710

    As far as who was the first woman to play in a symphony orchestra, Florence Wightman was the first to be principal harp, in the Cleveland Orchestra, but Edna Phillips was the first to be principal harp in a major orchestra, as Cleveland was not considered major then, and I guess Edna and Alice Chalifoux must have started the same year. There were harpists who subbed, played second, free-lanced before that, including in the Sousa Band. It was perhaps in the 40s that women began to win more seats, particularly when Salzedo began to graduate a lot of them into orchestral seats. He had fewer male students, but Reinhardt Elster at the Met, and Ed Druzinsky in Chicago count for something.

    What does matter is being able to play with strength and command that blends with and matches all the other players. As my teacher, Lucile Lawrence, put it: you have to be able to play the harp like a Man to make it; and that would apply to everyone. (Orchestrally speaking)

    in reply to: Harp and Violin #151340

    I wonder about Impresiones de Puna by Ginastera, which I’ve heard for flute and strings or piano, it seems like it might work on harp, and with violin.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152076

    Of course melodies in octaves are a good idea, that was rude, Christian. Melodies are also very expressive two octaves apart. If you haven’t heard of Lloyd Lindroth, or seen cocktail pianists, they pay a lot of attention to what they wear. Lloyd wore the most outlandish costumes I’ve ever seen, truly the Liberace of the harp.

    in reply to: How to keep yor listeners interested?? #152066

    Change your clothes and hair every day. At least that will distract them while you figure out new tunes to play. Many basic rock and roll songs are built on the 1-4-5-1 chord progression, so if you get comfortable with that, you can put many tunes above it.

    in reply to: How do I know if a chord sounds right? #161604

    To hear it perfectly balanced, play each note with your second fingers and then try to match it.

    in reply to: do you like teh beatles? #110260

    No.

    in reply to: Singapore #151898

    I can vouch for Yu-Hsin Huang, who studied in Taiwan and for many years in Boston with Lucile Lawrence. You can watch her play on YouTube.

    in reply to: Morceaux de Concours #85812

    Yes, but we are not there, unless Isabelle Moretti will look it up and tell us.

    in reply to: Judith Liber #86153

    I have reviewed it for American String Teacher. It has much of interest in it. It is not perhaps a complete total method, but a useful supplement or part of training.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,356 through 2,370 (of 2,806 total)