Certification for Harp

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

  • Participant
    Ee Reen Chew on #161636

    Hi there All,

    unknown-user on #161637

    Hi Ee Reen,

    There are graded and diploma exams under ABRSM and Trinity Guildhall for both lever and pedal harp. Performer’s Cert for Trinity is also available.



    You can check the syllabuses for the repertoire on the websites.

    Ee Reen Chew on #161638

    Thanks for your quick response Laura … I will check those URL’s today 🙂

    Seoid OC on #161639

    I suppose it’s like any musical instrument – the examples above are for the UK but I’m sure there are graded levels in other countries as well.

    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #161640

    Britain is the only country I know of with formal certifications. There are no such set formats in the U.S. unless you elect to follow the British model. We are free to progress or flounder as we choose. I like the format of the AHS music evaluation auditions, which provide feedback and opportunity for growth without restricted repertoire. I think they should be held annually in every chapter, or the equivalent. Studio teachers with enough students should consider bringing in an outside juror on a regular basis.

    patricia-jaeger on #161641

    In the U.S., one can obtain certification from The Harp School in Burns, Tennessee, http://www.carolmcclure.com/harpschool.html. This is given by taking appropriate exams at various levels given by adjudicators who are either themselves trained by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, or judges traveling directly from Britain, as noted by Saul, above, to many countries around the world. Anyone can request syllabi containing lists of music choices for the various levels, for harp,

    Ee Reen Chew on #161642

    I would like to thank you all for your wonderful and detailed replies to my question.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.