harpcolumn

Scoring a harp song!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Scoring a harp song!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I am not sure if this is the right forum or ok to asked for this but I have tried to score this song called “Sally’s Song” version of Amy Lee’s. Can anyone possibly score it for me?

Clinton is correct, because we all need to respect copyright laws. Recently I obtained permission to arrange and publish a tango composed by Carlos Gardel, who died in 1925, for violin and harp. Although his works are considered in public domain in his country, Argentina, that date does not quite qualify

tony-morosco
    Participant

As I understand it you only need permission if the piece will be performed in a public venue, recorded or published.

If this is to be performed at a closed private event permission (and royalties) are not required. If it were then every single wedding band in the country would be in violation, as would anyone who played from a fake book.

The thing to remember is that copyright law is intentionally vague, so often there are no clear answers within the written law itself. Only precedent in court cases. As far as I know there has never been a case where someone was found guilty of copyright violation for arranging a copyrighted piece of music for their own use or for performance in a private setting.

However if it is to be performed at a public event, that is any event open to the general public or any event for which an admission fee is charged, then you need permission and royalties must be paid, typically through one of the main music agencies that handle these things.

I look forward to seeing it, Pat!

harp guy
    Participant

Absolutely Tony.

Generally in the USA, the rule of thumb is this: if money is involved, you have to get permission. If money is not a factor in the equation, you can generally play whatever you want and any arrangement that you want. If you want to write an arrangement and publish it, you do have to go through the publishing company that owns the material and get the licensing and rights to do so. As for royalties and public performances, generally (and correct me if I am mistaken), arrangements aren’t an issue but rather the licensing of the venue. The venue (unless predetermined in your contract), is usually responsible for covering the royalties owed to the composers and to the P.R.O.s (ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC). And that usually means whether or not they have a “blanket” license (which covers anything and everything), specific licensing for an event, or whether they subscribe to a service that provides recorded music. Many fast food chains, and other stores (Fazoli’s, Pier 1 Imports, Walmart, Kroger, etc). And that service provider pays the dues that are owed. People usually don’t get bent out of shape about arrangements, but rather not being paid for performances of intellectual property that they own.

BUT, keep in mind. This is all US copyright law. It may be different where you are.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Yes indeed. In the US the venue is responsible for dealing with the licencing and pay of royalties performed there, not the artist. Also when it comes to arrangements you only have to worry about performing an specific arrangement when it is not your own. If you perform someone else’s arrangement publicly you technically need permission or need to make arrangements through the publisher or their representative organization.

I actually have some books of harp arrangements that specify in the book that so long as it is not being recorded then anyone has permission to perform these arrangements publicly. After all, most people who publish arrangements know this is why people buy them… to perform them. So some arrangers make it clear that they don’t care.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.