Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,041 through 2,055 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: orchestra etiquette #151397

    I think it would be more effective to bring scores for the other pieces being rehearsed and to follow along. You could bring some other music that needs markings, perhaps. Reading a book is a possible distraction, and doesn’t demonstrate interest, so better I think to bring nothing and pay attention. As for standing, I would ask the personnel manager. And, we call them pieces, not songs. Don’t ever call them songs unless it is a pops concert.

    in reply to: Young Person’s guide to the orchestra B.Britten #151436

    I don’t see which measures you mean with pedalization.

    in reply to: Young Person’s guide to the orchestra B.Britten #151435

    It is difficult because it is poorly written for the harp, and I don’t think you should worry about being exact, except for an audition.

    in reply to: Harp teachers are a blessing #84253

    What a nice thing to say. So many students just take us for granted.

    in reply to: Harp teachers are a blessing #84966

    What a nice thing to say. So many students just take us for granted.

    in reply to: Harp teachers are a blessing #85476

    What a nice thing to say. So many students just take us for granted.

    in reply to: Frustrations of playing in orchestra in a far away place.. #151448

    I just figured out your name. Funny.

    in reply to: Frustrations of playing in orchestra in a far away place.. #151447

    Wow.

    85s have been known to have the eyelets crack, but I thought that had been stopped some time ago. Lyon & Healy will make a kit for you with some of every part so you can buy everything at one time, and have them on hand. That is much better than waiting for each part.

    One way of dealing with the politics is to learn how the system works, and make friends with the right people to get what you want. Otherwise, perhaps a letter from L & H spelling out the proper storage of their instruments and the cost of repair and replacement would wake them up.

    If you are in Mexico, you might get in touch with Janet Paulus, who might be able to give you good advice on coping. Certainly, quite a few American harpists have held jobs down South.

    I knew

    in reply to: Young Person’s guide to the orchestra B.Britten #151431

    You should always know the full part in case they ask you to sight-read it, and to musically know the piece. I believe they do usually ask for the fugue as well as the solo variation. I think you will find the best fingerings in Beatrice Rose’s book. She invented a whole new way of fingering double arpeggios for this part. I’m not sure playing a lot of glissandi would be in taste for Britten, it depends. I’ve never heard anyone do it.

    in reply to: The “Perfect” harp cart #75562

    I never saw that one before. The only thing I would say it lacks is big, soft tires for steps and curbs or a glide for stairs.

    in reply to: Digital Recorder for Practice #108971

    I have a Zoom, and it is a bit complicated to use, which is distracting when practicing. I would recommend tape instead.

    in reply to: Digital Recorder for Practice #108970

    If it’s only for practice, a good cassette recorder will work as well as digital, and they are very inexpensive now. You also need a good microphone with it, though.

    in reply to: Anybody going to Lynne Aspnes Retreat in Oct? #160000

    I didn’t know there was an Athens in New York. It wasn’t mentioned on the site, that I saw.

    in reply to: Anybody going to Lynne Aspnes Retreat in Oct? #159996

    Georgia.

    in reply to: I Admit It #109033

    I read Harpo Speaks in the last century, for sure. We read everything on the Marx Brothers back then, not that there was so much. I commented on his playing because there is a big difference from his earlier movies. In fact, I remember Marietta Bitter’s son telling me that Harpo came over weekly or more for lessons, perhaps around that time. She was married to Walter Abel, who was quite a movie star as a second lead or character actor. She studied with Carlos Salzedo, as did Mildred Dilling at one time. You should be sure to work that into your article. I can put you in touch with him, if you need, Rod.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,041 through 2,055 (of 2,806 total)