Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Calories? #108121

    mmm, yes, but if you are lifting three or four at a time, you have multiplied the weight, too!

    in reply to: Pleyel cross-strung video #104648

    But they haven’t been built for years, I understand. They are all playing on old instruments, albeit with first-class wood. Now, if someone would figure out an improved construction method…………..Carl………………..it might be worth pursuing.

    in reply to: Which harp concerto to work on? #150021

    But, really, the question should not be popularity or familiarity. When you consider repertoire, you should have, hopefully, some sense of its greatness. We have a lot of repertoire that is not great, some that is great. Now which would you rather spend your precious time learning? Great or not-great? Which will benefit you the most?

    There are quite a few concerti that are not too difficult and are, if not great, very good. I would include among these:

    Saint-Saens: Morceau de Concert

    Rodrigo: Sones en la Giralda

    Albrechtsberger: Concerto

    J. C. Bach: 6 Concerti

    Dussek: Concerto in B-flat (two movements)

    and perhaps Wagenseil, Eichner; and more romantically,

    in reply to: Which harp concerto to work on? #150020

    If you want to win the competition, do the one that you know the very best and can play most musically. The Mozart is huge. It is 30 minutes long, and is the longest concerto in our repertoire that I know of. Each movement is long and challenging. You do have all summer, though. It depends on how much you practice and how well you learn. The Mozart is a great piece, the Dittersdorf is good, the Boieldieu is good, and there are others that are similar. The Dittersdorf would be the most accessible, but is not especially flashy.

    in reply to: Zabaleta’s harp #72956

    I saw him in concert, perhaps twice, and I am sure he did not leave it engaged. It encompassed so many strings, the harp would have been dead sounding.

    in reply to: Finding the first job #150137

    I think you will find hospitals happy to accept volunteer services, and it will be rewarding.

    in reply to: I need help finding a few pieces! Renie and Oberthur #83933

    Busser wrote several harp solos that are as well written for the harp, if not better than, as those of Pierne. The early pieces are in a similar style, and they gradually become more modern. I believe the titles are Ballade, second Ballade or something, Impromptu on Japanese Airs, and Prelude and Dance.

    I could have sworn Renie was frequently referring to Loukine’s Second Ballade.

    in reply to: I need help finding a few pieces! Renie and Oberthur #84646

    Busser wrote several harp solos that are as well written for the harp, if not better than, as those of Pierne. The early pieces are in a similar style, and they gradually become more modern. I believe the titles are Ballade, second Ballade or something, Impromptu on Japanese Airs, and Prelude and Dance.

    I could have sworn Renie was frequently referring to Loukine’s Second Ballade.

    in reply to: I need help finding a few pieces! Renie and Oberthur #85156

    Busser wrote several harp solos that are as well written for the harp, if not better than, as those of Pierne. The early pieces are in a similar style, and they gradually become more modern. I believe the titles are Ballade, second Ballade or something, Impromptu on Japanese Airs, and Prelude and Dance.

    I could have sworn Renie was frequently referring to Loukine’s Second Ballade.

    in reply to: Feerie #159002

    It helps to do an exercise that is related. Playing arpeggios such as c-e-g-b, d-f-a-c, e-g-b-d, etc. will help with some passages.

    in reply to: Why numbers? #108114

    I think it is probably a question of neutrality, as a name has connotations that would possibly limit appeal as much as enhance it. Suppose Lyon & Healy had named their harps after presidents, or historical figures, like Boss Tweed, Tammanny, or movie stars, like Gable, Lombard, Chaplin, Swanson—oops, we have one of those!

    in reply to: Why numbers? #108113

    Dare I say, how sexist this is?

    in reply to: Composers, Performers, and Audiences #108164

    All I can say is that if I invested all of my income from composing into a grant for a performer, it would amount to .

    in reply to: Electronic Harp Tuner #70705

    If I use the harmonics to tune octaves, they are tuned pretty normally. I am getting great results with my Korg ca-20 with a clip-on pick-up. The only string it doesn’t get is the 7th octave C. But I mostly use the Orchestral Tuner, though the batteries don’t last as long. I don’t go more than 5 cents sharp or flat at the top and bottom. The harp sounds quite sweet tuned exactly, actually, like ice cream, and if I flatten the bass it sounds more like sour cream. I happen to love sour cream, but the tones are more focused on pitch.

    My question is, does the order of tuning help the tuner hear better? Should I go in a circle of fifths in each octave, or tune one pitch in octaves? Going by scale is definitely the slowest.

    in reply to: Music transcribed for harp #150214

    I have performed and transcribed it for harp, hope to publish it soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,591 through 1,605 (of 2,806 total)