natalie-wagner–2

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Playing a gig in Mexico? #62797
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    Up until I found the love of my life, the only guys who approached me seemed to be total creepers… I know that sounds mean, and I have had one or two very sweet boys who had crushes on me, but otherwise STRANGER-DANGER.

    While I’m sure I’m not as “gifted” as you, *laughing*, I can bring some weird ones too. The worst example would be the guy who taught me how to stab people and how he skins squirrels.

    P.S. Looking forward to the arrangements! ^_^

    in reply to: commercial using the harp #113419
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    That was beautiful, what a nice way to show music therapy in adorable action. 🙂

    in reply to: Playing a gig in Mexico? #62794
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    Oh Mr. David! Trouble seems to try and find you!

    I have a brilliant plan! Your arrangement of Stairway to Heaven is so beautiful… Every time you get a terrible / suspicious / crazy / phony / preposterous / silly / dangerous / uncomfortable / etc job offer, tell us all about it because your posts are always so interesting, then arrange a new song. It will benefit you by making up some profit and releasing the tension, and it could bless us with more of your wonderful harp arrangements!

    (Unless there is another David Ice who arranges for harp, then this post will be so embarrassing…)

    Stay safe and stay home please!

    — Natalie

    in reply to: Which pickup do you recommend? #77951
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    I have the best of both worlds. DS on my style 85 petite pedal, and Fishman on my carbon fiber Delight. Both harps sound beautiful amplified.

    I’ve had the Delight only since the summer, so I don’t have much experience with the Fishman. The sound is crystal clear and beautifully balanced with only one pickup! I believe this is in part because of the carbon fibers natural resonance.

    The DS has given me the same problems as Maya, I wish I’d had her instruction booklet instead of the one they sent me! I followed them to a ‘T’, and so my mid range is extra boisterous because of their placement. The bass and treble are absolutely gorgeous though, and the whole range of the harp glows. The DS really is wonderful. It does rattle around on me, I’ve squished cotton balls in some places to muffle it, but right now it has a mysterious buzz that I can’t seem to find…

    The best thing you can do though is get Deborah Henson-Conant’s “Gurl’s Guide to Amplification”. She wrote it for all musicians but obviously thinks like a harpist, and she has tons of tips for amplifying harps too. I’d invest in the book, as you will surely learn something, and then use it as a reference as you explore your options. God bless you!

    — Natalie

    in reply to: What a world ! #113403
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    I am so very sorry, I didn’t know your situation at all Mr. S! I had thought you meant your life was very busy right now, and you hadn’t time to practice. I meant that I was avoiding practice and couldn’t blame the world for my laziness. I can’t apologize enough for my response. You can delete it if you like, I’m very very sorry. I pray that you are well and get somewhere safe!

    in reply to: What a world ! #113395
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    Avoiding practice right now…. I’d like to blame the world but it’s my fault. 😛

    in reply to: New Harp Song! #112866
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    It sounds so good, reminds me of video game themes, maybe while you’re searching around for a key. Nobody else has mentioned a title at all, which surprises me.

    I see it very clearly, Rapunzel waiting in her tower. A name like, “Let down your hair.” Or, “Tower time.” Hahaha okay that one made me laugh, my sister is better at names than me. I hope that helps!

    I am listening to the updated version right now. I want to play a Rapunzel video game now. *pouting*

    in reply to: Favorite Pop tunes #62113
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    There is a youtube channel FULL of over a thousand video game songs, supradarky!

    @http://m.youtube.com/user/SupraDarky

    I am subscribed. Some are obviously face paced battle themes, but so many surprising beauties come along too!

    I’d love to check out that website, thanks!

    in reply to: Favorite Pop tunes #62111
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    What a fun thread!

    I have a personal love for “pop” music (really classic rock and older pop hits, current music of almost all genres makes me sad).

    The Long and Winding Road by the Beatles – Arrangement by Sylvia Woods in her Lennon and McCartney for the harp book. This one is my dad’s favorite, it sounds beautiful on lever or pedal!

    I play my own arrangements of…

    Dire, Dire Docks from Super Mario 64 ( Take a listen, this song is beautiful! @http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1B52TSCl_A )

    And Serenade of Water from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and also bits of Queen Rutela’s theme from Twilight princess. (The Queen’s theme is adapted from the original in Ocarina of Time, so I just used a little of both. @http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gK1Nqqsy6o )

    I’ve seen harpists cover both of these. How beautiful! I am in love with video game music. ^_^

    in reply to: Heartland Harps carbon fiber pedal #77776
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    No problem! If you purchase one I am almost positive you won’t regret it, they most certainly are the lightest harps around and retain a beautiful sound. Every harpist is different so it is always best to play it in person. I couldn’t and ordered it on faith, and I love it! Just be extremely direct with Dave, try to get everything with payment done as quickly as possible.

    in reply to: Heartland Harps carbon fiber pedal #77774
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    Yeah he said $33,000 if I’m correct. Somewhere between $30,000-35,000. He’s very friendly but not organized, I would pick my harp up and pay in cash to simplify things.

    in reply to: So what extents have YOU gone to? #113028
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    I had a little baby 28 string lap harp with the string tension of old rubber bands from age 11-15. After my first year or two my teacher immediately began prodding my parents to save up for a pedal harp, since a larger lever harp would only “last so long” before I needed to “upgrade” again. (All the quotation marks are for my respect of lever harp as it’s own beautiful and unique instrument that is in no way inferior to pedal harp. That is another thread entirely though so I won’t continue!)

    I have always been a babysitter since I was old enough to *sit on the babies*. 😛 I saved up close to $2,000 on my own. Two people from my church heard me during a bible study discussion (about our goals for the next year) say something like, “Well I pray God helps me to get my pedal harp. Because right now I can’t learn more without a bigger harp.” This couple, who are very close family friends now, put on a spaghetti dinner where I played background music for about half an hour and Christian singer (@http://www.joshuapricemusic.com ) Joshua Price filled in the rest of the time for me. So many good and wonderful people chipped in, and that brought another $1,200 roughly. Still not the $9,000 for a used lyon and Healy used Style 85petite….

    So my amazing father sold his Harley Davidson motorcycle. My mom and dad made the most sacrifices to bring me to where I am, and I am SO blessed and thankful to have them. We call it a Harpley now! And dad regularly makes requests for me to play. His favorite is the Long and Winding Road by the Beatles (Sylvia Woods arrangement). I got it the summer I turned 15, and it was delayed because the heat was too high to ship it! I had never tuned that many loose strings, and it took me days to get it right!

    This summer I had my own money saved up $4,000, and decided to invest in a Florida proof carbon fiber harp. I financed $2,000 over a year but paid it off in September I think. It was $6,300 totaled, and I love it! I can play outdoor gigs with no worries. It was my very first purchase and loan that I paid all by myself! It was actually my first and only loan…

    I always tithed to God, since I started earning money. I believe He is the one who blesses and sustains me, so this small percentage going back to Him is nothing. I also believe that because of my faith He has truly paved a way for me financially. I have no full time job, I’m a nanny and a babysitter. I live with my parents and don’t have a car, but I do have a cellphone and car insurance and filling the cars I share with my family. My bills all get paid with not a penny of debt and always a few dollars slipping into savings.

    I suppose what I mean to say is, trust your finances with your faith. When you think you won’t be able to make it, sometimes God will surprise you at the last possible moment. ^_^

    — Natalie

    in reply to: best comment yet #113254
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    How many of you have been asked, “Is that a harp?” while you still have your cover on?… I’ve gotten that at least three times. *blank expression*

    Of course I cannot judge, everybody has “blonde” moments from time to time. I don’t know how blondes were associated with stupid questions, I see it as more of a lazy person trait.

    I asked my mother how to spell I-75 when looking up directions. I meant do you put a “-” in the middle, but she was too busy laughing to even answer me.

    in reply to: Heartland Harps carbon fiber pedal #77771
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    Oh the sound is gorgeous! I have played only a few wooden lever harps, all were lyon and Healy and aimed to imitate a “pedal harp” sound. The Delight has a beautiful bright Celtic harp sound, you can listen to it in a wood/carbon fiber blind harp tasting test here. @http://www.heartlandharps.com/harptasting1.html

    I personally LOVE it, very different from my petite pedal harp. Listen and see if you can even tell them apart. I couldn’t but I don’t have much experience.

    in reply to: Heartland Harps carbon fiber pedal #77768
    natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

    Hey Allison!

    I have their Delight in the classic black. I love the harp very much!

    I had problems though, when Dave came out with the LED lights he offers now he had a sale giving them for free on harps already in stock. So I saved up as much as I could and financed the rest. I am proud to say it was the first loan I ever took and I payed it off in only a couple months. 🙂 The lights never worked quite right and when I emailed Dave about it he ignored me for… I think it was 3-5 months, I can’t remember. I had to call and email every day for a week to finally get a response and apology from him.

    Now he says he shipped out the parts in priority mail, but I still haven’t received them… And that was a week ago…

    So as much as I love the harp itself and can only say wonderful things about it, I am not having the best experience with my purchase since it’s STILL going on.

    Which model do you have? Any color? What do you think?

    I was blown away by the bright cheery sound it has. My levers were stiff when I got them, and sometimes they still stick, but overall I enjoy the truitts. I live in Florida so this harp has been a huge blessing for the beach wedding I had over the summer. I’m the only harpist I know who happily will go to the beach now! It gives me a unique market, but of course I’m a student and summer had pretty much passed by the time I got it. I have a new teacher who has a big following in the city above my town, so maybe she will direct outdoor jobs onto me. She told me she won’t play on the beach either!

    I want to start volunteering with this harp too, it’s so light I can move from room to room in no time at all!

    I can’t believe how pretty the wood finish looks. Dave will be coming to Florida next week so I might get a chance to play the starlight. How exciting is that?!

    I hope your harp keeps “delighting ” you! 😛

    —- Natalie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)