Michael H

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102420
    Michael H
    Participant

    I woooould buuuuuy…Hmm…What would I buy?

    Oooh! I’d like a Salvi Scolpita but I really wanna see one in person first. In some pictures, it looks like it’s made of chocolate and in others like a pretzel (I’m fine with either). I’ve heard it has a gorgeous sound and some people laud the design, while a greater group of people castigate it. Buuuuut it floats my boat quite alright.

    And then I’d get a Camac Big Blue in black and I’d totally outfit it with some crazy pedals.

    in reply to: Harp-friendly neightbours, NOT! #109241
    Michael H
    Participant

    Ah! What a horrid lady.

    The only time I got any guff was when I decided to make up some experimental harp music. My mom said it takes talent to make such a beautiful instrument sound ugly. But no, generally all of the people in my townhouse complex and at my school are pretty nonchalant about the harp.

    in reply to: New harp pictures #109211
    Michael H
    Participant

    Oh wow! I’m so jealous! The feeling of finally getting your own pedal…It must’ve felt like Christmas morning except like seven krillion times more exciiiitiiing.

    …Hm.

    Maybe if I sell one of my kidneys…I’ll have enough money for one…Any takers?

    in reply to: How many male harp players are there. #166526
    Michael H
    Participant

    Northern Ontario. Shame and heartache but the closest teacher that I know of is hours away. Harpists in this area are practically unheard of.

    I weep for this harpless city!

    in reply to: How many male harp players are there. #166524
    Michael H
    Participant

    I turned 18 in September and it was then I finally gathered up my pennies and rented a harp, cause you know, it’s what I’ve always wanted…

    A lot of people are thrilled when I mention I play harp (a select few question my manliness, but that’s okay…)…Okay I’m getting ahead of myself…I don’t really play harp, I dabble…I really…REALLY need a teacher, that or easier sheet music, I shouldn’t be attempting to play Michael Nyman pieces when I’ve only had the instrument for less than three months.

    But yes, I think you should do it. Unless you’re REALLY musically inclined, I’d recommend getting a teacher. Oh, how I long for a teacher. :'[

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102827
    Michael H
    Participant

    Gee whiz! I promise I’ll be on my most bestest behavior! I am not promising anything about the skirt though, it’s my body, I’ll wear what I want.

    I might shout some obscenities should I manage to injure myself on the intruments, I once got a nice sized cut on my arm from a tuba, just to give you an idea about how accident prone I am.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102825
    Michael H
    Participant

    Oh, Kathy, would you hold it against me if I showed up at your store on Friday and played like that on your harps? You wouldn’t give me the boot, would ya? Cause I don’t know, I sorta…Dig that spunky harpin’.

    in reply to: Finally ready to buy a harp! But… #166765
    Michael H
    Participant

    Yes I saw pictures of your showroom and I was immediately anxious to visit.

    I’ll contact you when I find out a date that’s convenient for everyone in the family (we’re planning a little trip to Ottawa!). My guess would be sometime in the second half of September!

    in reply to: Finally ready to buy a harp! But… #166762
    Michael H
    Participant

    Well, with the way things are going, I probably won’t be getting the harp during the summer. Maybe sometime in September though…But by then I might have enough for a Troubadour! Whoopee!

    But I have a few more questions…What kind of extras will I need to purchase? The case/bag is mandatory…Will I need to buy a proper stool and stand? No doubt I’ll purchase some music while I’m there too. Will I need to buy an extra set of strings right away? And lately I’m hearing talk of “humidifiers” is this an absolute must have for the harp?

    This is just so I can budget in advance!

    in reply to: How did you afford your first harp?? #110623
    Michael H
    Participant

    We’ll turn heads with Vivaldi’s Harp Concerto!

    Wait… Is that possible to play on that type of harp with only a few months to get acquainted with the instrument..? I have big dreams, I guess! Lucky for me though, we don’t do any marching in where I live (don’t know about the bigger Ontarian cities though!)…Although, marches do make up a lot of the material we play. I just think having a harp player would score us a gold at the Music Festival!

    in reply to: How did you afford your first harp?? #110621
    Michael H
    Participant

    Sorry to bump this thread all the way back! Well I haven’t gotten a harp yet, but I know my first harp will be the Ogden, which I plan to pick up within the following month…

    Like the rest of us, I’m completely crazy for harps, my heart skips a little whenever I spot one on the telly…Shame I’ve never seen for real yet, save for a little pakistani harp. Sheesh, not even the city’s orchestra has a harpist! (We have a midi pianist…I’m sure she’s a marvelous pianist, but that’s a huge slap in the face to harpists!)

    Anyway, I’ve worked for quite some time now, and I finally have enough! I’m so excited! Think they’ll let me play the harp in my school’s concert band?

    in reply to: Finally ready to buy a harp! But… #166759
    Michael H
    Participant

    No, sadly. I’m from Sudbury, so the closest place (as far as I’m aware of!) is in Ottawa. Nice to know there’s an increasing number of harperies opening up, though! Also, the place in Ottawa has pedal harps! I’m hoping the owner will let me get my grubby little hands on one of them…Although, I have tend to have bad luck, what if I accidentally tip it over and destroy it? Ouf, I’m too nervous.

    The extendable leg feature in the Ravenna certainly looks interesting, I’ve seen it in action on a video. But I’m happy the Ogden has optional legs.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)