Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159875
    Liam M
    Participant
    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159872
    Liam M
    Participant

    Karen

    I welcome all string charts!!

    in reply to: Wire harp question for Bernhard & Liam #159870
    Liam M
    Participant

    Karen,

    First, I am deeply saddened at upsetting Audrey and wish I had not done so. I would ask you not further contribute, we are friends and we need to allow each other our peace.

    In answer to your question… And I would hope Bernhard will correct me here if I err…

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159800
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey,

    It appears as if you might be upset and that was not my intent and I am sure it was not Bernhard’s.

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159798
    Liam M
    Participant

    And Audrey, when we catch you chasing your kids around with a bucket, we will know you have taken the traditional way too far!!

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159797
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey, pg. 10 of Bernhard’s article should be of interest to you…

    “If the load of a string is near up to breaking limit, the
    string will be continous elongatied by the constant
    overload so it has to be compensated by tuning
    again. During the time the string gets more and
    more thinner and weaker until it breaks. This can
    also happen after one year or later. One shouldn‘t
    forget that the stress on the string is not spreaded
    equal because of the friction at the bridge pins. The
    bigger the bend is on the bridge pin the bigger is the
    friction, and the bigger must be the reserver on the
    wire.”

    It all makes sense.

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159796
    Liam M
    Participant

    WOW!!

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159794
    Liam M
    Participant

    Bernhard is quite correct Audrey, the tensile strength of the material cannot be ignored…

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159790
    Liam M
    Participant

    Hello Bernhard,

    I finally cracked through on my research of “Nickle Silver”

    in reply to: Soft, gummy finish. #151387
    Liam M
    Participant

    I agree the area has to be cleaned first before anything is put on. The Renaissance Wax prevents this phenomena, it does not cure it.

    Sorry Carl, I will continue to scrub with fine steel wool and scrub pads using copious amounts of mineral spirits, but no scraping!

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159783
    Liam M
    Participant

    I’ll take Bernhard Schmidt for $1000.00!!

    in reply to: Dull-sounding brass string #159780
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey,

    I am really guessing…. but in my experiments I have noted that as the string stretches under tension, it decreases in guage. It gets thinner….so the mass per length actually decreases. The Mass per Length is part of the frequency, (Tone) equation…. So then you wind up compensating with tension….

    in reply to: Weird question #159484
    Liam M
    Participant

    It only weighs about 40 lb. or so?

    in reply to: Harp repair? Harp value? #75520
    Liam M
    Participant

    Dawn, you raise a very good point. If sound integrity is not compromised and the instrument is structurally sound, I believe a crack might even lend some character and not be out of place on an instrument that old. I am concerned that they will take the instrument to a shop that will not appreciate the instrument for what it is and they will wind up with a total loss. While we know they could never sell it for it’s replacement value, it certainly would be that much to replace it.

    in reply to: Harp repair? Harp value? #75518
    Liam M
    Participant

    I would look for a music shop in your area that handles Violins, Cellos etc. Ask them for a good luthier. Stay away from guitar stores which may be a problem in Nashville. Or contact someone like Lyon and Heally.

    INSIST UPON REFERENCES AND SEEING EXAMPLES OF THEIR WORK!

    Repairing a concert harp is something that will take special skills. I work on far simple folk harps and experiment with different configurations.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 294 total)