harpcolumn

Weird question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Weird question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I received my first real harp yesterday. A L&H Troubador.. it’s beautiful I love it!!

Anyway, here’s my question.

Is there any special way I should be carrying/moving my harp? When I am not playing it, I keep the dust cover on it and have it tucked away in a corner safe and sound. However, when it’s time to play, I grab it by the column and one of the soundbox holes and shimmy it out from the corner. Is this no good? Is there a better way to move my harp around?

It’s too heavy… I’m so happy I didn’t get a Prelude.

Liam M
    Participant

It only weighs about 40 lb. or so?

Samantha E.

It does, but my room is carpeted so I can’t slide it around. I have to pick it up and carry it, and I want to know the “right” way to carry it.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

That’s how I carry mine, too. I think this is a fine way of carrying it, though I’ve never asked anyone about it. I can’t see any other way of carrying it that would be better..?

tony-morosco
    Participant

How you are carrying it is fine. Just remember to wipe the areas you hold it by with a soft cloth when you are done to avoid a build up of oil and grime from your hands. Even if you wash your hands before you touch it you will be surprised to see that after a while you can clearly see where you regularly touch the harp.

But one hand in the sound hole and one on the column is how I have always moved my harps and I have never had any trouble.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Just thought I’d chime in and add that this is exactly the method Laurie Riley recommends in her “The Harper’s Handbook” for carrying a harp that is too big to be picked up by the pillar (which is going to be most harps other than lap harps).

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

40 lbs is way too heavy for me.

V. B.
    Participant

I carry it the same way too.

You need to lift weights to play any harp, it seems! By shimmy, I hope you mean walking it from foot to foot. You don’t need to keep it covered except maybe when moving it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies