harpcolumn

Dull-sounding brass string

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Dull-sounding brass string

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

The low F on my Dreamsinger Bard suddenly developed an odd, ringing, overtone.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I had the same problem with my low F on my Limerick, and it was due to the paint marker I used. The paint sank into the windings on the string

Liam M
    Participant

My experience tells me it has started to stretch and will be breaking soon. Not sure the paint has that much effect, (Thanks Karen, I’ll test that in my test jig), but it seems reasonable.. to a degree… I always have used sharpies and just on the every ends and the eyelets.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Karen…it’s not brass wound…just straight brass (no wound strings on this harp).

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

My low G (bass wire) has the same ringing overtone that your F had before you tried to restring it… So now I don’t dare to try and do so myself, since your string went dull. Does anyone know what can be the cause of such a strange overtone? The string is brand new and has been like that since I first put it on, but all the other bass strings are fine. Maybe I should order a replacement?

A pentatonic scale is any scale with 5 notes.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I should clarify…I haven’t restrung that F.

Liam M
    Participant

Audrey,

I am really guessing…. but in my experiments I have noted that as the string stretches under tension, it decreases in guage. It gets thinner….so the mass per length actually decreases. The Mass per Length is part of the frequency, (Tone) equation…. So then you wind up compensating with tension….

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

liam,

Yes, the string stretches under tension…this must be.

But after a while the string should stay without stretching.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

There more CD named Iona available,…so it is a secret at the moment and a real surprise.

Regards

Liam M
    Participant

I’ll take Bernhard Schmidt for $1000.00!!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Hi Liam,

Yes…thanks for reminding me.

Don’t mark strings. As you have found, it can ruin them. You can learn to find the right strings with a little time and patience. The easier you make it for yourself, the less you learn.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

I believe it is a good Idea to change to ball end.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Liam,
    I forgotten about the programm. After allmost 40 years of harpmaling with all the different harps I do not need a programm. I know it and most important I feel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies