Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
December 15, 2009 at 4:42 pm in reply to: What is your other job (if you have one) besides harping? #108649
holly-kemble
ParticipantI am a buyer for a large meat processing company. I also negotiate large multi site contracts, manage hedge accounts for a few commodities on various boards of trade,
holly-kemble
ParticipantWow, Carl….this is really interesting and helpful!
Can you share the brand/model of the humidifiers you like?
Thanks….Holly
holly-kemble
ParticipantI
holly-kemble
ParticipantHi Julie~
My situation is a lot like yours……I played the piano for decades, and viola, and sang. Then I wandered in to Harps on Main in Rising Sun, Indiana and fell in love with the harp. These are the harps by William Rees mentioned in a post above. I splurged and bought an Aberdeen Meadows, their 36 string concert harp. It has a full, rich sound that seems to get better every week.
I play on a Troubador at my teachers house, and although it is tall and imposing, I prefer my Aberdeen. I’m biased for sure…lol. The Troubador is very nice.
This Saturday (11/14/09) at the Kenton County Library in Covington, KY
holly-kemble
ParticipantHi Laura~
I have limited harp experience….but I ordered Kim Robertson’s ‘Celtic Christmas’ and it was too challenging for me in my first year of playing. My teacher really likes ‘What Child Is This/Greensleeves’ from this collection. It utilizes the entire range of a 36 string harp, and the arrangement is full and lush. I’ll save this for next year!
I also like Sunita Staneslow’s collection in Mel Bay’s Christmas Eve, 16 Solos for Celtic Harp. The arrangements are probably easier than you are looking for….but they are so well written that they sould harder than they are. There are also some more unusual pieces in here….Scandinavian and German carols.
Good luck!
Holly
holly-kemble
ParticipantWelcome to the wonderful world of harps and harp music! You will enjoy this ride very much.
I also prefer darker, fuller tones. My harp is an Aberdeen Meadows from William Rees Harps in Rising Sun, Indiana. This harp has 36 strings and the low note is C two octaves below middle C. The tone is dark and rich in the lower strings without being muddy, and the upper range just sings……never with a ‘plinky’ sound. (Is ‘plinky’ a word???)
I also *really* like the 32 string Irish harp from Craig pierpont at Another Era Lutherie in Edmonton, Kentucky. It hyas 32 strings, the lowest is the E,
holly-kemble
ParticipantThanks Andy and Gloria….this helps a lot.
I think I will go ahead and get this. One less item to lug around!
holly-kemble
ParticipantBlevins has several models that fit your criteria and are prices reasonably…especially if you
holly-kemble
ParticipantHi Cassie~
Be sure to check out the discounted harps on the Blevins Harp website. Their steeply discounted harps include shipping the in continental USA. If you call Cindy, she will play them over the phone for you.
Good luck!
holly-kemble
ParticipantThis is fabulous!
holly-kemble
ParticipantBe sure to check Blevins’ Discounted Harps page. I think there was an Avee 34 listed.
holly-kemble
ParticipantOK….a few clarifications…
The first link is ‘Our 70 Harp Models, then go to ‘Lap and Travel Harps’.
Click on the Avee 34 box. It has 34 strings, but keeps the low C and takes two upper strings off.
holly-kemble
ParticipantHi Seoid~
The tension on the grand harpsicle is noticibly lighter than on the Aberdeen and the few other harps I have played at lessons. However, I still thought it was OK. My problem (one of them!) is that being a pianist with a preference for romantic ‘sturm und drang’ music (Rachmaninoff, Brahms, late Beethoven…) I need to play my harp with a much lighter touch on the finger tips. Waaay different than the piano. The lighter tensioned harps I’ve tried force me to relax more and slow down.
Blevins makes a harp that has the same
holly-kemble
ParticipantAn update to my post above….the grand harpsicle is still priced at $1,595.
Sorry……my error.
holly-kemble
ParticipantI live near
-
AuthorPosts