harpcolumn

Grand harpsicle / supersicle

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Grand harpsicle / supersicle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Seoid OC
    Participant

Hi,

Does anybody have any experience with the grand harpsicle (used to be called the supersicle) harp by William Rees?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I heard Marta Cook play one at Somerset.

I played a harpsicle lap harp once. The tension was so loose that it felt like a 2-year old could play it. That drove me crazy. Not sure if the grand is like that too, but I suspect it is.

Briggsie

holly-kemble
    Participant

I live near

holly-kemble
    Participant

An update to my post above….the grand harpsicle is still priced at $1,595.

Sorry……my error.

unknown-user
    Participant

It’s absolutely great if you’re a beginner, or if you want to play in a lot of different places. Mine came with a guitar strap, so you can stand while playing. I still have mine, and even though it’s sound isn’t the best, it is great if you’re just starting out. If you’ve been playing for about a year, this is not the harp for you. Otherwise, the sound is small, and the playability is easy.

Seoid OC
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

holly-kemble
    Participant

Hi Seoid~

The tension on the grand harpsicle is noticibly lighter than on the Aberdeen and the few other harps I have played at lessons. However, I still thought it was OK. My problem (one of them!) is that being a pianist with a preference for romantic ‘sturm und drang’ music (Rachmaninoff, Brahms, late Beethoven…) I need to play my harp with a much lighter touch on the finger tips. Waaay different than the piano. The lighter tensioned harps I’ve tried force me to relax more and slow down.

Blevins makes a harp that has the same

holly-kemble
    Participant

OK….a few clarifications…

The first link is ‘Our 70 Harp Models, then go to ‘Lap and Travel Harps’.

Click on the Avee 34 box. It has 34 strings, but keeps the low C and takes two upper strings off.

Seoid OC
    Participant

Hi Holly,

That’s great, thank you!

holly-kemble
    Participant

Be sure to check Blevins’ Discounted Harps page. I think there was an Avee 34 listed.

Seoid OC
    Participant

I went with that Blevins Avee 34 that they have listed in the discount section so thanks a mil for pointing me in that direction!

Seoid OC
    Participant

Oh yes, and it’s actually working out cheaper than the harpsicle with pickup, case and shipping!

holly-kemble
    Participant

This is fabulous!

Congrats!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.