Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Gretchen Cover
MemberMaybe it depends on how your instructor taught the Salzedo method? I was taught by Jeanne Chalifoux who worked directly with him. Anyone, let’s stay on the subject of raising arms. I find my arms and hands relax when I raise. Yes, each person develops his/her own personal style. BTW, in Salzedo, the palms do face the floor. They are supposed to face the sound board. Thumbs should be up but I don’t believe they have to be rigidly up. If you hold your elbows up, your thumb will automatically go up. You do need to have some movement when you play or you really will tighten up. Video tape yourself and I am sure you will see that you raise and move your arms more than you realize. I agree if you get the right sound, whatever works for you is fine at this point in your playing. But this is a student…..
Gretchen Cover
MemberSorry, I mean to say raise allow you to find the notes PRIOR to playing a chord.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI was taught the Salzedo method. Raises are very important using this techinique. It allows the hand to rest and to give you a chance to find the next notes, particularly after playing a chord. It allows the strings to resonate. It prevents tendonitis because you let your hands, shoulders and arms relax.
Just because your student came to you with what I would consider a bad habit, doesn’t mean it has to persist. I think if you show her the benefit of raising and prove it will improve her playing, she will be less resistant. Have her watch youtube videos of top harpists. They raise their hands when playing.
Gretchen Cover
MemberKay,
I have the small double Might Bright light and the Orchestra. The small one lights up your music and uses batteries only. The Orchestra light lights up the harp and music. It is also very easy on your eyes – no glare. It does not get hot because it is LED. The orchestra light is worth the money because you have the option of using batteries or the adapter for electric and the light is superior to the other models. The adapter has a super long cord. It comes with a tote bag. Cheapest price I’ve seen is about $40.00. I bought mine through Harp Connection. I prefer to support our harp vendors even if it costs a few dollars more.
Gretchen Cover
MemberThe Mighty Bright Orchestra Light works perfectly for harp playing.
Gretchen Cover
MemberSylvia, this is a photo of me playing in December. I am wearing black palazzo pants. (hopefully the picture posted)
Gretchen Cover
MemberSylvia, I only have a Linkedin site for Vero Duo, our harp and guitar duo. I am seated on a bench so my you can’t see my palazzo pants. Do a key word search on google and you will see a lot of them.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI played a wedding reception last fall (not the ceremony). I asked the bride’s mother what colors the bride selected. I wore a top to coordinate with those colors. I always wear polyester chiffon black palazzo pants. That way it looks like a skirt but with the convenience of slacks.
Gretchen Cover
MemberGo to Janet’s website www,newyorkharpist.com to see a full-length portrait of her new pride and joy. While there, go to the top listen link, skip 1 and 2 and then listen to Janet’s beautiful improvisations while you admire her harp.
Gretchen Cover
MemberDavid,
You have such a unique way of livening up Harp Column…thank you for making this month’s drama short-lived:)
Gretchen Cover
MemberI just read a news article about the Mexican government confiscating hundreds of foreign boats because of an alleged non-payment of a $70 permit. There is a huge crackdown on non-payment of taxes in Mexico. Why risk having something happen to your harp -or you. I agree with Sid – have your insurance company sign off.
Gretchen Cover
MemberTacye, Perhaps because you played the duet before and know how this piece can be performed , you could find another brave harpist and make a video. I would love to see how this duet is performed. It would be entertaining and a great youtube video:))
Gretchen Cover
MemberI am an amateur, too. I play often at a local church and have been put in last minute situations. If someone pulls a surprise like the one you had, I just say “no.” I am not willing to play a duet without at least one solid rehearsal and a couple days to work on a part. Now they know better:) I feel your agony on this one.
Gretchen Cover
MemberIf you haven’t seen the Arianna in person, it is a beautiful harp. Obviously, Sylvia, if that model has been built for 35 years, there are harpists who like and play it.
I have a Salvi Apollo and I don’t find the weight (90 lbs). a problem. I do get someone to help tilt the harp onto the back of the van and also tilt it upwards when I take it out. It has never been a problem to find someone to help for 30 seconds. BTW, Salvi harps have wheels on the harp base so it is very easy to move the harp around.
Gretchen Cover
MemberRead directions? Never occurred to me to do so. My guitar partner just plugged the cord in, turned the recorder on and listened to our pieces.
-
AuthorPosts