Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Etiquette question #211229

    Is this addressed in your contract? On a personal note, I rented a Salzedo concert grand harp for a year while I waited for my new harp. I offered and paid for the harp to be regulated. It was in my interest to keep the harp in good shape since this was a long-term rental and I needed the harp for performing. Plus, I was given a generous price break on the rental. Anything is negotiable.

    I checked on the Vanderbilt music website and a new set of wire strings is about $118.00 and gut strings will set you back $350-420 (I would use Vanderbilt gut or Premier gut strings). Depending on the age and sound of the strings coupled with how advanced/serious a student your son is, you might consider replacing either the gut or the wire strings. Since this is a student harp, this is very subjective. I would discuss the matter further with the instructor. I will be interested to read what others think.

    in reply to: Best Music Stand Light? #210825

    Mighty Bright Orchestra light http://www.mightybright.com. Plus, I have led lights attached on my concert grands. You can buy a light kit from Musicmakers http://www.harpkit.com.

    in reply to: Ravel La Valse Fingering Ideas #210534

    Brian, you are very generous to do all that work and share it. Thank you.

    in reply to: Chaconne by Jeremiah Clarke #210533

    I was curious about this piece so I did a google search. You can find Chaconne on http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com. It sounds almost like Canon in D.

    in reply to: best advice you were given? #210294

    Balfour, thank you for your kind thoughts. We did ok with the hurricane. Water came up higher than any previous storm and we were without power for just a day. Friends in the keys had no damage and one hotel we know, Eden House in Key West, had no damage.

    Re: Shape singing. Do-re-me from Sound of music gives you an idea of what shape singing is about. When I took piano, I had to sight sing as part of music theory but we used the English sound of the note. Mostly, I would sing intervals (chords).

    in reply to: Tchaik Sleeping Beauty Suite Cadenza, need help ASAP! #210236

    You may want to join the Facebook group Harpists Acquiring Repetoire and Performing Experience. It’s all about orchestra performance/parts and there is a data base of orchestral parts. Other helpful FB harp group is Harp Exchange.

    Also check Vanderbilt Music. There is a lot of orchestral music from Lyra not yet catalogued. Great cadenza. Please let us know what you find out.

    in reply to: meantone E tuning for John Adams' Absolute Jest #209991

    Can you bring in a second harp that is tuned to the composer’s specification?

    in reply to: Your tips to a newcomer #209291

    Personally, I would take harpist Alice Gilles’ beginner harp courses. You can find them on her website http://www.alicegilles.com. She is an incredible Australian harpist and instructor. You will learn the correct hand position and basics. She has a demo video you can watch before signing up.

    She is also providing advanced classes to learn Song in the Night and the Hindemith Sonata.

    PS/ Best bet, as said above, is to take lessons and learn correctly from the start. Even with lessons, I would still take Alice Gilles’ courses.

    in reply to: Harp regulation #208927

    Really? No one has anything to say about harp regulation?

    in reply to: Harp regulation #208860

    At the least, I would get the harp regulated. If for no other reason, do it for re-sale. I would never buy a harp that had not been properly maintained.

    I don’t know your budget, but I would also change all of the strings. If money is an issue, i would ask the tech if you should change the wires or the gut strings or if it is ok to leave the strings as they are. Most harpists don’t realize how the sound is affected by the bass wires. It something the harp tech l use says every time my harp is regulated. I change my wires every two years and change the gut strings in the Fall. I know others will have a different viewpoint, but I like playing a harp that sounds its best.

    in reply to: Carpet so thick, I'm afraid too leave the harp… #208430

    If you have been a long-time renter and/or plan to stay for a while, ask the landlord to get rid of the carpet and put hardwood flooring in to match the baby’s room. Can’t hurt to ask or negotiate a solution. Otherwise, I agree with the chair mat.

    in reply to: https://youtu.be/KByXL7UzXRY #208254

    You play very well. Oriental Melody is an interesting piece of music. Thank you for posting this clip. Have you considered having your arrangements published via Harp Column Music http://www.harpcolumnmusic.com?

    in reply to: Harping as a Mom #207882

    Hannah, many congratulations on becoming a new mother. Check out the latest issue of Harp Column for the article Balancing Act by Megan Metheney and/or listen to the Megan Metheney Podcast #23.

    in reply to: The ugliest harp I've ever seen! #207789

    The column is a square top baluster used in a banister (the post under the hand rail).

    in reply to: Adv non-pedal duets #207655

    The Little Fountain, Samuel Pratt
    Les Pins de Charlannes, H. Renie
    Two Duets for Two Harps (Country Dance,The Water is Wide) arr. Louise Pratt
    The Peaceable Garden, Rhett Bardwell
    Simple Gifts, arr. Daniel Burton
    Ode to Joy, arr. Serena O’Meara
    Warm Breezes, A Day in the Sun, Hopes and Promises from Watercolor Harps

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 866 total)