harpcolumn

Easier Tzigane?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Easier Tzigane?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    paula-bressman
    Participant

At the university where I teach, a violinist just won the concerto competition with Tzigane. I would prefer one of my harp majors to play rather than playing it myself, and I am working with her on the part. I know she’s capable, but I am worried about the short amount of time she has to learn it. The conductor mentioned a reduced or easier harp transcription that may be better in this situation, since she has such a limited time. Has anyone heard about this and know where I could find it?

carl-swanson
    Participant

I’ve never heard of an easier version. I’m not sure how you would go about making it easier. The shear speed of the cadenza is probably the worst part of it. You might be able to simplify the pedaling by re-writing the notes. But it is still going to be very fast.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I’ve never heard of an easier version either, and it’s hard to imagine how it could be made easier. If you’re sure she’s capable and she has sufficient time to practice, I would recommend going with the original. It’s not something you can sight-read at a rehearsal, but it can be learned in a day, since it’s a very short cadenza. Then it’s just a matter of practicing it many times to lock it in and get it up to tempo.

Paula, since the conductor mentioned that easier version, please talk to him, reminding him his performance date with your student harpist will shine if he will only find it for you.

There are ways to make it a bit easier, though it is still challenging. I have sent you my markings by email, along with the violin parts to the cadenza and the part at rehearsal 20. There is also an errata sheet.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I wonder if it might be possible to divide up the cadenza between two harpists?

Dear Paula, Could you let me know if I sent it to the correct email? Did it arrive?

paula-bressman
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I’ve worked with her on my markings and then Elizabeth’s. It looks like she’s going to be just fine. She’s practiced an incredible amount over the past few days.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Elizabeth’s fingering is definitely the way to go. Elizabeth, you are a jewel, and we all benefit so much from your generosity. I’m getting ready to play this in about 10 days. In fact, I was thinking of posting a message to the Forum about recommended strategies and tips for waiting through the approximately 3.5 minutes between the start of the piece and when the harp comes in . . .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies