cc-chiu

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • cc-chiu
    Member

    Thanks for your reply! I’m indeed looking for a version that resembles the pedal harp version as close as possible.

    Apparently, there’s also an edition by Michele Beaumont-Cholet – perhaps there’s someone who knows about that one?

    in reply to: Harp Rental in Brussels? #146045
    cc-chiu
    Member

    I don’t know whether they offer the service but I’ll list a few Belgian harp dealers – perhaps they could point you to someone? They’re not necessarily located in Brussels, by the way.

    http://www.proarte.be/harp.htm
    http://www.harpcenterbrussels.com/?page_id=7
    http://www.viegasharp.be/index.html

    Good luck!

    in reply to: pet peeve? #106957
    cc-chiu
    Member

    Unfortunately, there aren’t too many harp recitals in the Netherlands… They’re either WAY too expensive or located in a small town in the middle of nowhere… And of course, when there’s an affordable recital near where I live, they’ll play obscure modern music that I don’t understand 😛

    I’d love to attend a harp recital but I haven’t got much luck so far :(.

    Pet peeves:

    In our church, we use a songbook that’s used by most ‘evangelical’ churches. And in every song there’s a modulation, like from C to E

    in reply to: favorite composer for the harp (any kind) #148771
    cc-chiu
    Member

    Bernard Andres! 🙂

    in reply to: Grossi #83256
    cc-chiu
    Member

    I’m also interested in an English translation! I can decipher some things because I know a little bit Latin but the rest is all gibberish to me… 😉

    in reply to: Am I being scammed? #72440
    cc-chiu
    Member

    As far as I know, everything that mentions ‘western union money transfer’ is suspicious. (It might be a very common way to deal with payments in the US, I’m not sure? But over here in the Netherlands, it’s one of the ‘warning signs’ that it’s a scam).

    Also, the entire arrangement (a client in the US?), the lack of proper punctuation and the lack of questions about the harp itself are things that should cause red flags…
    (I know that other people already said that it’s a scam but I thought, let’s explain our reasoning 🙂 Perhaps someone will benefit.)

    in reply to: Israel competition #149177
    cc-chiu
    Member

    I don’t have useful information but I’d like to wish you good luck!

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand–October 2010 #107441
    cc-chiu
    Member

    I’m working on the Pavane and the Bourree from Automates (B. Andres). The Pavane is

    in reply to: what’s your favorite youtube video at the moment? #157356
    cc-chiu
    Member

    Faure’s Impromptu as played by Catrin Finch… I really wish that I’ll once be able to play that piece (but it’s not very likely, unfortunately).

    in reply to: McAllistrum’s March #149995
    cc-chiu
    Member

    I found this for you at thesession.org (a great resource for celtic tunes 🙂 ) http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2136 . Hope this helps?

    in reply to: Playing for students #83682
    cc-chiu
    Member
    I think it’s very useful. I’m also an aural learner and while I’ve gotten much better at reading the music, it’s nice to ‘get started’. (for longer pieces, she only plays the first measures so I can get the ‘feeling’ of it – usually that’s enough).
    in reply to: Student Self-Harm? #83073
    cc-chiu
    Member

    That’s why I said, try discuss it with the student before doing anything. If there’s reason to suspect that the student is going to try to kill herself, of course you should contact someone, but self harm alone is – according to what I’ve learned – not a reason to worry about suicide.

    It’s not only about potentially losing a student.(which, to me, indeed should never be a reason not to contact someone).

    in reply to: Student Self-Harm? #83069
    cc-chiu
    Member

    I’d be really, really careful with contacting parents etc, because then you sort of ‘betray’ the person’s trust. If I were you, I’d try to approach her before doing anything, unless you’ve got very good reasons to think she’s planning to kill herself.

    (I’m not yet qualified to advise anything on this matter, so take this as information and judge it for yourself…)

    Self-harm alone is rarely a reason to be worried about someone’s well being. It is a phase that lots of teenagers pass and most get out of it without any help. Self-harm can be many things – a cry for help but also an ‘experiment’ that got out of control, etc. etc.

    in reply to: fun websites for supplementing teaching materials #84018
    cc-chiu
    Member

    Thanks a lot for mentioning this website, it looks really useful.

    I use http://www.webmetronome.com as a metronome. It can be customized as much as you like – number of beats (also ‘odd’ numbers likt 86 or so), accents, beats per cycle etc. The only disadvantage is that it sometimes ‘hiccups’ which can be disastrous when you’re playing to it.
    Keeping the settings as simple as possible helps, as well as having only one browser window open and no additional online clients (FTP, IM) running.

    (I’m not a harp teacher but perhaps this might be useful…)

    in reply to: fun websites for supplementing teaching materials #84731
    cc-chiu
    Member

    Thanks a lot for mentioning this website, it looks really useful.

    I use http://www.webmetronome.com as a metronome. It can be customized as much as you like – number of beats (also ‘odd’ numbers likt 86 or so), accents, beats per cycle etc. The only disadvantage is that it sometimes ‘hiccups’ which can be disastrous when you’re playing to it.
    Keeping the settings as simple as possible helps, as well as having only one browser window open and no additional online clients (FTP, IM) running.

    (I’m not a harp teacher but perhaps this might be useful…)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)