harpcolumn

The Handel Harp concerto for lever harp – which edition?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists The Handel Harp concerto for lever harp – which edition?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cc-chiu

Hi everyone,

There are at least three editions of this concerto for the lever harp
    (O. Le Dentu, A. van Campen & A. Griffiths) – which one is the
    closest to the original version?

My teacher apparently wasn’t aware of the fact that there are lever harp versions for it, so that’s why I ask. I only know that there are a few different versions, not whether they’re anything like the original.

Yours,

CC

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, you’d really need to define “original” because all the published editions are somewhat realized and edited.

The Le Dentu is entirely in only two voices, which I myself find rather thin sounding. I would say the van Campen is closer to most of the usual pedal harp editions than the Le Dentu. Of the published pedal harp versions, I would say that the van Campen is most like the edition by Lucile Lawrence. It does have some clunky spots where I think the lever changes could have been handled better.

Both include all of all the movements, as far as I can remember off the top of my head, so you could play either with orchestra, but neither has much in the way of a cadenza. (Sorry, I don’t use either of these when I play it so haven’t looked at them very recently.)

I don’t know the Griffiths, so can’t comment on that.

cc-chiu

Thanks for your reply! I’m indeed looking for a version that resembles the pedal harp version as close as possible.

Apparently, there’s also an edition by Michele Beaumont-Cholet – perhaps there’s someone who knows about that one?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.