carl-swanson

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 2,364 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rent-to-own pedal harp? #105007
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I rent pedal harps, mostly in the New England and greater New York City area. If there is an option to buy, it will be written in the rental contract. But the renter is never obligated to purchase and can rent as long as he/she wants. If the renter decides to buy, then a maximum of 5 months of paid rent will be applied to the purchase. The full balance then has to be paid. The renter also has the option of applying the 5 months of paid rent to any other harp I have for sale which belongs to me(occasionally I sell harps for other people. In those cases the 5 months paid rent will not apply).

    in reply to: Here’s another great video of Sylvain Blassal #148358
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I’ll ask him why he fingered it that way. I got home yesterday from a week of vacation and there was an email from him. So I’ll see what he has to say.

    in reply to: Here’s another great video of Sylvain Blassal #148355
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    The fast repeated notes are only on 1 string, not two. So he had to come up with some sort of “trick” fingering to accomplish this. He’s very hunched over because the harp is so small.

    in reply to: Here’s another great video of Sylvain Blassal #148351
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Let’s try this again. I tested the previous youtube address and it didn’t work. Try this one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnXqbz7UUr8&feature=player_embedded#at=
    48

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148446
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I suspect that if Renie suggested the idea of a gliss for those fingered passages, she would be very very picky about how the gliss was played. It would have to be very even and precise so it almost sounded like the passage was fingered. it would not be a matter of just strumming the strings like in a Broadway show.

    in reply to: Young composers writing for harp #148477
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    10 minutes??? The most important thing??? Tell them to write down little ideas they’ve got and then have a harpist play

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148444
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Misty- I had no idea that Renie suggested that in her Methode.

    in reply to: Debussy Harp Pieces #166163
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    William- Don’t turn your back on music by Marcel Tournier. He was a contemporary of Debussy and one of the best composers for the harp we have ever had. Try his Offrande. It’s printed with another easy piece and both are called Deux Pieces Facile(or Breve et facile, I can’t remember right now).

    in reply to: Venus Pedal Rivet Problem #72319
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    You need to have someone remove the rivet and put a nut and bolt attachment in there. Lyon & Healy has something made especially for that. So do I(Swanson Harp Company).

    in reply to: Recordings of Renie #148509
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Patricia- That’s really fascinating. What a project for someone to do: to research the recordings that Renie made.

    in reply to: Recordings of Renie #148507
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I don’t think so Sam. Her active playing career was so early that there were not a lot of harp recordings being made then. And she was very dissatisfied with the sound of recorded harp. One possibility might be in the archives of the ORTF, the French radio and television organization. I’d love to spend some time there and see what they have in the way of harp recordings and videos. I know that the ORTF did special programs on Lily Laskine and Pierre Jamet. So at the very least, there may be some interesting interviews in those archives. But I wonder if Renie ever played on the radio?

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148438
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    The first performance, a private concert a Durand’s, the publisher, was played by a chromatic harpist(I think her name was something like Suzanne Dalie), with Darius Milhaud playing viola. I don’t know who the flutist was. Debussy probably received a commission from Pleyel to write the trio sonata, but he clearly and loudly stated repeatedly that he wanted his music to be played on an Erard. He didn’t say pedal harp, he said Erard. That’s why, a few months later, when Debussy heard that a young wizbang harpist named Pierre Jamet was working on the piece, he asked that trio to play the work for him, and then asked them to perform it at a public concert that Debussy had organized for the French Red Cross.

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148436
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Marguerite- I agree with you completely. But it must be remembered that both these parts were written for Chromatic harp, not pedal harp, and harmonic or scale glisses are just not possible on the chromatic harp. An argument could be made that Debussy did what he had to do for the chromatic harp. But to me there’s a distinct difference in the sound between a gliss and a fingered passage, and I much prefer the fingered passage in these two cases.

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148434
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    It’s sometimes done like that, although I’m not crazy about it. I much prefer the fingered arpeggios. I believe that Renie even played it with glissandos! I’ll check with my friend Geraldine Ruegg, who studied with Renie and who translated Renie’s Methode into English. She’ll know for sure.

    in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71933
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    That’s how Mildred went through life. I remember when I read her Christmas letter years ago, it was filled with little stories about her travels in which, in each incident, she swopped in and saved the situation. One I clearly remember was about a week long masterclass she was teaching in California. According to her, one of the students was a girl who had just gotten a job playing harp at a hotel in las Vegas, but who only knew three tunes. Mildred got to work on her and by the end of the week the girl knew 17 tunes. I would love to hear the girl’s version of that story.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 2,364 total)