harpcolumn

Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Dwyn .
    Participant

“The most bizarre experience of her professional life is when a very rich man paid her an unusually large sum to come to his home and play for him. When Mildred arrived, she realised that the man wanted her to serenade him while he made love to his girlfriend who had died. That is to say that he was engaging in necrophilia while being serenaded by the greatest harpist the modern world knows.”

Wow!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Mildred tended to embellish stories or incidents. That’s just the way she was. So I wouldn’t take any of that literally.

Oh, I had a few offers like that I didn’t pay attention to. I was invited to perform in a revue in Provincetown right after my summer at Tanglewood. I said no, thinking only of what Miss Lawrence would say. I found out the next day that I came very close to being drugged and kidnapped to P’town to do the same, to wake up onstage in costume in the show. That would have been a mistake.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I should mention here that Vanderbilt Music Company sells one or two CD’s of Mildred playing.

Dwyn .
    Participant

I’m sort of glad to hear that, since this particular story involved something that really warranted summoning police forthwith.

carl-swanson
    Participant

That’s how Mildred went through life. I remember when I read her Christmas letter years ago, it was filled with little stories about her travels in which, in each incident, she swopped in and saved the situation. One I clearly remember was about a week long masterclass she was teaching in California. According to her, one of the students was a girl who had just gotten a job playing harp at a hotel in las Vegas, but who only knew three tunes. Mildred got to work on her and by the end of the week the girl knew 17 tunes. I would love to hear the girl’s version of that story.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Whatever else, Ms. Dilling certainly was an original!

Nancy Smith
    Participant

So just to clarify, you think Brigham Young Univ. is the best place to send her Christmas letters, post cards, personal notes, and photographs?

Nancy Smith
    Participant

Is there a particular time period.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, I mean here:

http://lib.byu.edu/sites/harp/

susan-page-howland
    Participant

Wow, I know

mark-andersen
    Participant

The girl in the boat at the Dunes was Kippy Lou Scott. Kippy is still a member of our Greater Seattle Chapter.

susan-page-howland
    Participant

Amazing…the name doesn’t sound familiar, but it was 45 years ago. If she was in Mildred’s masterclass the summer of 1966 and remembers driving 2 teenagers from Hidden Hills to UCLA for the week I have

Dorian Llywelyn
    Participant

Readers might be interested in this ad:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2234545182.html

mark-andersen
    Participant

Her name would have been Kippy Lou Brinkman at that time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies