carl-swanson

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,236 through 2,250 (of 2,364 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Frusterated – how picky is too picky? #88569
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    A trouble spot is any place in the music where you don’t know EXACTLY what is going on.

    in reply to: Frusterated – how picky is too picky? #88565
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    There are two possible reasons that I can think of that would cause you not to make progress.

    in reply to: When a student is teaching before they are ready #88618
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I feel like everybody on this thread is missing the forest because the trees are in the way.

    in reply to: Placing in sequence #87367
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Elizabeth- I learned only recently that the Salzedo Conditioning exercises include placing in sequence.

    in reply to: When a student is teaching before they are ready #88607
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    What an interesting thread this has turned into.

    in reply to: Placing in sequence #87364
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    There’s one more thing that I should have added to the original post.

    in reply to: When a student is teaching before they are ready #88601
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Julienna- This is the BANE of harp pedagogy in the United States, and it’s going on everywhere.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165561
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I just found this old thread and it brought up memories of when I started the harp.

    in reply to: modern harp effects #88737
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Modern harp effects? If you’re referring to the stuff that Salzedo wrote, it was written mostly in the 1920’s, which makes it almost 90 years old! Salzedo is now as ‘modern’ as Hindemith, Ravel, and Debussy. The ‘effects’ that he created are really just 15 ways to play a glissando. A simple written explanation should suffice whenever a non-standard written symbol is used in music. Is it realistic to expect anyone who plays this stuff 100 years from now to buy a video tape from Lyon & Healy to figure out what the symbols mean?

    in reply to: Important Repetoire #82429
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I think much of the problem with harp repertoire is that the public is so unfamiliar with it.

    in reply to: Corelli Giga #88754
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Baroque ornaments are virtually all harmonic suspensions.

    in reply to: Corelli Giga #88751
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Salzedo was not the only one who was not up on baroque ornamentation.

    in reply to: Teacher vs. student repertoire choices #88794
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    There’s no easy answer to this, because each student’s needs are so unique. In general though, I tell the student what to play, OR, I give them a choice of two or three pieces that I feel are appropriate and let them decide which one to learn. I have occasionally misjudged a students ability and have had to withdraw a piece after one or two lessons because I didn’t like the way it was progressing. Under no circumstances should a student work on a piece that he/she is not technically up to.

    I got an email this afternoon from someone asking me to blog about something quite similar, so I’m going to put a longer response to this on my blog. Soon.

    in reply to: Words of Encouragement? #88767
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Paul- I know too little about your situation to

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87746
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Rosalind- My concern I think is that students, even if they have a tuner,

Viewing 15 posts - 2,236 through 2,250 (of 2,364 total)