carl-swanson

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 2,364 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How Much $? #163531
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Lyon & Healy belongs to Victor Salvi. He bought the company in 1986. If they read this they will squawk that I am wrong and that both Lyon & Healy and Salvi belong to a Swiss holding company, but that is nothing but a shell game. Ask them who owns the Swiss holding company.

    in reply to: How Much $? #163527
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Charles- Someplace I have several of these old catalogues too, and one or two Wurlitzer catalogues. I remember reading in one of them from the mid 1920’s that a 23(always gold at that time) was something like $2,500. 40 years later, when I started studying the harp, the gold 23 was only $1,000 more, or $3,500 or so.

    It’s interesting to note that until 1972 when CBS bought Lyon & Healy, the harp division had never made a nickel profit for the company. It was a ‘prestige’ item whose production was supported by the rest of the company business. The same was true of Wurlitzer. That’s why, towards the end of the depression when the Wurlitzer harp makers demanded more money, Wurlitzer refused and instead shut down the whole harp division, because even in good times it had never turned a profit.

    in reply to: Well, there’s always photography… #111656
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    David- I too remember all the hulabaloo surrounding Marcus Klinko. He either had a very aggressive publicity agent or he did a very aggressive job himself. At the time the local classical music stations would occasionally play a cut from one of his CD’s. I’ll just say here that I was dumbfounded.

    in reply to: Humidifier #163318
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Erin- Just put a few drops of Chlorox in the water. That will take care of the mold.

    in reply to: Humidifier #163315
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    I wrote a blog here about humidification last year. You should read that. The short answer to your question though is that any humidifier that blows out “invisible” air(i.e., no visible vapor) is appropriate and should be placed close to the instrument.

    in reply to: How Long to Polish a Piece? #163622
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    It depends on several things, mainly the difficulty and length of the piece.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162960
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Water gilding is done all the time.

    in reply to: Suggestions for Forum use guide #111683
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    David- I’m sorry about all your back trouble. I certainly hope the surgery gets you back functioning again. I blew a disc in my back about 4 years ago so I know just how bad it can get. Fortunately I was able to heal completely without surgery. Good luck. I’m envious of one thing though. You get to take all those downers! I loooooooooooooove downers.

    in reply to: WHAT A NICE THING TO DO!!!! #163641
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Kay- Thank you so much. The woman who gave the harp (who shall remain anonymous) deserves the most credit. She is an absolute angel.

    in reply to: Suggestions for Forum use guide #111678
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Bonnie- I agree with you. There is a difference between censorship and guidelines. Guidelines suggests to me that there be a format to what you have to say, while censorship forbids you from saying certain things, regardless of how you express them. I don’t really go to any other discussion site on the web, but I understand that there is a tendancy for people to say things on the web that they wouldn’t think of saying to someone face to face. Perhaps if we all, when placing a post, imagine that we are sitting around a table discussing this or that, would we say what we want to post to someones face? If not, then don’t hit the ‘Post’ button. More than once I have written out a post to something hear, reread it, and then deleted the whole thing. Which reminds me: Please everybody, after you have written your post and before you send it, reread the whole thing for content, spelling and grammar before sending it in. Thanks.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162954
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Tacye- The first rule of conservation and restoration is, like in medicine, is do no harm. That means don’t do anything that is not irreversible. For that reason I don’t believe that a compound like epoxy has any place in either gilding or finishing a harp.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162952
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Tacye- I would never use epoxy for gilding or any kind of finish work. It’s unrepairable, and if you have to remove it, the only way(THE ONLY WAY) is scraping and sanding. There is no stripper or remover that will soften it.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162947
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Maria- I don’t think it’s necessary to put a cover on the harp to protect it when not being moved. Even the cover touching the gold can scuff it.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162946
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    It’s not a question of lasting longer. With care, they will both last the same amount of time.

    in reply to: THE BEST OVER ALL HARP #162945
    carl-swanson
    Participant

    Rabbit skin glue is one of several forms of hide glue. Sometimes it’s called fish glue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 2,364 total)