Biagio

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Mikel Celtic / Mikel Harps Review #233545
    Biagio
    Participant

    I am very sorry that you have had to go through this Molly. Some people have reported that the Mikel harps have been satisfactory; by and large though I’ve heard more horror stories than not.

    There may be one or more solutions to those breaking strings. That usually occurs in the treble when the strings are too long for the desired frequency or/and they angle in from the bridge pin. Any longer than 4″ vibrating length (from sound board to bridge pin) is pushing it for that high C. Other things that often happen: the bridge pin or tuning peg has sharp edges, the string grommets ditto or protrude all the way through the board, or the supplied strings are defective.

    The first step is to figure why they are breaking. Please tell us if you can determine this and perhaps we can help with a solution.

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233495
    Biagio
    Participant

    I was being very conservative and considering the opportunity costs to me as a retired guy with time on my hands:-) But it’s a fact: no one makes harps expecting to get rich. Or even reasonably well paid compared to the alternatives open to many of them.

    For example: Dave Thormahlen was a geology graduate when he got side tracked by harps, Chris Caswell a physics major, Ray Mooer (Dusty Strings) dentistry, Mark Blessley physician, Rick Kemper engineer. I had dual careers: Intelligence officer and corporate financial consultant.

    I guess some people do stuff for love more than money huh?

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233471
    Biagio
    Participant

    Just for kicks and giggles, I added up the costs and compared that to a roughly equivalent harp: the Dusty FH36H at $5595 (excludes case, includes full Camacs).

    The Cheyenne upgrade, assuming someone had all necessary tools and did not charge themselves for labor and overhead, will cost $3060 (full Truitts). If you just bought the wood and cut to shape you might save around $1500 over the pre-cut kit but spend a lot longer making it; perhaps another 5 days or more.

    Add labor and overhead at $50/hr 35 hrs: $1750, total $4810. From scratch add $1250 and we’re up to about $6000 Not such a huge “saving” over the Dusty’s $5595 right? About 15% which is a typical profit margin for a pro.

    Good harps are not cheap no matter if you buy or build (but we knew that)!

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Biagio.
    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233437
    Biagio
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    Honestly I think that dulcimers of both types are just as exacting if not more so than lever harps. I used to make them (and banjos) before harps seduced me ( those cunning little tramps). Just getting the frets right and the sides steam bent on the mountain dulcimer, getting the bridges and supports right on the hammer one – yeesh!

    With the spruce SB replacing it, a nice large piece of a/c laminate will be left over. Already thinking what to do with that – a 3 1/2 octave double maybe? More projects… should pass the rainy winter time:-)

    Sure will keep any interested informed but I think off line. Wil Weten asked me to document the process so Hiho! I’ll copy you too. Everything is lined up now after chatting with Rick and a call from Joan Lamere about string specs and cost. Going to have to buy some clamps though haha.

    Best wishes,
    Biagio

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233404
    Biagio
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    Rick is usually pretty punctual about replying but since I told him that the kit is back-ordered until November 13 he may not feel there’s any rush. I’ll write or call him next week if still no word (even harp makers take vacations haha).

    Sure, MM could send me the correct Camac levers if I used their strings. But since I preferred a different deign I’d have to order them from France. Plus buy a set of metric drill bits, torque wrenches, double drill for the screw – you need two hole sizes, one for the shank and one for the threads. Seems like more trouble than it is worth to me since I am already used to Truitts. I can’t detect any difference in sound distortion between them so Betty T it is. At least a month before worrying about it anyway!

    Cherry is a good all around wood. OTOH I love Tasche’s FH36S in Bubinga so that’s the way I’d go if I weren’t so cheap:-) But then I also love his Boulding Concert Oran Mor and really thought hard about that one instead of the Cheyenne.

    Happy birthday to Cherie!

    Biagio

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233400
    Biagio
    Participant

    Well there ya go on price comparisons between new and used. That one has Universal levers, not a bad deal if someone is OK with those; and the a/c SB. Shipping might be about $250. If I were interested I would first ask if it was kit built or purchased finished.

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233332
    Biagio
    Participant

    >I wish Sylvia (Woods) was still based stateside. I don’t know how she found time to play harps, sell harps, compose and arrange music for harps, and travel too.<

    She is wonderful and wrote the first instruction book for the lever harp, which is still used by many when they start. Many professionals do all the above of course, including several in the Puget Sound region.

    Most of those whom I know are also members of the Puget Sound Folk Harp Society (though I don’t know if any have a Ravenna 34 they would sell). For example, I’ve guided three or more students to Laurie; one bought a Kortier from her and another bought a Rees double – I think the Rees was a 34. That same student also bought my custom made double 23.

    Really, please do join the PFHS – it is free and there are players of all levels and all harp types. We do not have a discussion forum, just lots and lots of harp enthusiasts. The monthly Newsletter always has notice of upcoming events and there are almost always ads of harps people want to sell rent or buy.

    We’d love to meet you!
    Biagio

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Biagio.
    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233325
    Biagio
    Participant

    Balfour my friend, the Cheyenne is almost the same as their former Regency. They made it a bit lighter in weight; and tension too. I did not like the new string design – some were very large diameter (.080-.091) and the bass are steel core fiber bronze wrap which I really dislike. So I designed a new one – the bass will now be bronze core fiber nylon wrap. Much easier on the levers and fingers. Those fatties will be either fluorocarbon or steel fiber nylon.

    I expect to replace the a/c laminate sound board with a custom spruce board from Rick Kemper assuming he gets back to me before the kit is shipped (it is back ordered). If I do not hear positively from Rick I will regretfully cancel the kit order. I only wrote Rick yesterday….Here’s hoping.

    Cheers,
    Biagio

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Biagio.
    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233288
    Biagio
    Participant

    Interesting and thank you Wil for alerting us to the Portland shop used harps.
    I notice that they also have a 29 string by Dwight Blevins with Rees levers. Dwight has retired but he was/is known for making excellent harps. Also a Dusty FH26 and a few others by less known but still respected makers.

    Personally I think the asking price for the Blevins is too high, especially compared to some others we have discussed. But if Howard should have the time and inclination to visit the shop, that would provide an opportunity to actually get his hands on some good instruments, just for comparisons.

    Biagio

    in reply to: Levers/Sharoing – Your Opinions? #233244
    Biagio
    Participant

    Hi Charles,

    Levity is allowed (grin). Of course, cross strungs do not have levers, although that sort of harp deserves more interest. So does the Douglas harp!

    Cheers,
    Biagio

    in reply to: Theory vs Practice vs Reality #233223
    Biagio
    Participant

    Howard, my friends in Tacoma give me an open invitation to stay with them anytime so that cuts down on some driving for me. I try to avoid driving these days but when I do I love the Olympic peninsula so when I do go south often take a ferry over to Port Townsend and cruise on down that way, avoiding most of the interstate. You had mentioned that you live around Portland earlier.

    I’m not a native here either: born and bred in Williamsburg VA. I moved to Bainbridge Island after shedding the corporate life and fell in love with Puget Sound!

    in reply to: Theory vs Practice vs Reality #233183
    Biagio
    Participant

    >Hi Biagio, I would love to follow your stories and pictures of the Cheyenne if you would decide to build that harp.<

    Okey dokey Wil but let’s do it off line; I do not want to gunk up the Harp Column with attachments. I have your email address from of old.

    Kimberly informed me that they instituted a policy not to allow shared emails here – too much spam. Understandable…why do spammers seem to think that harperists are naive? Oh well, I’m sure we have all received some doozies.

    One that was going around started out “My [daughter cousin friend’s dog] is interested and what are your fees, where do you live etc.” So when it got to me I told them that my fees are small but I live on Adak Island so the kid would be responsible for ferry costs and arctic clothing.

    Bad to the bone:-)

    Biagio

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233179
    Biagio
    Participant

    Thank you Howard, you had a BIG part. If this discussion had not gone where it did I’d still be sitting around wondering “So, now what’l I do this winter?” Enjoy your organist season! And I’ll enjoy this project when it starts in a month or so (some stuff is back ordered).

    The Howard harp – wouldn’t that be a great Christmas present?

    Have a great holiday season, all
    Biagio

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Biagio.
    in reply to: Theory vs Practice vs Reality #233163
    Biagio
    Participant

    Good point Tacye! In the Puget Sound area where Howard and I live, I did not see anything on consignment at DS likke we have been talking about. There is a Musicmakers Gothic 31 offered at the Puget Sound Folk Harp Society (aka Reigning Harps):

    http://www.reigningharps.com/harps_for_sale.htm

    Craigslist is a good place to look too but it would be wise to take someone who knows harps along – some are good some are not:-)

    Biagio

    in reply to: Cheyenne Upgrade #233160
    Biagio
    Participant

    Oh yes btw, I received some information regarding those Sakem levers and it looks good. Long way from now to then though, and I may stick with Truitts. TBD

    Biagio

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,123 total)