harpcolumn

Cheyenne Upgrade

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Cheyenne Upgrade

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Biagio
    Participant

Hi Balfour,

Honestly I think that dulcimers of both types are just as exacting if not more so than lever harps. I used to make them (and banjos) before harps seduced me ( those cunning little tramps). Just getting the frets right and the sides steam bent on the mountain dulcimer, getting the bridges and supports right on the hammer one – yeesh!

With the spruce SB replacing it, a nice large piece of a/c laminate will be left over. Already thinking what to do with that – a 3 1/2 octave double maybe? More projects… should pass the rainy winter time:-)

Sure will keep any interested informed but I think off line. Wil Weten asked me to document the process so Hiho! I’ll copy you too. Everything is lined up now after chatting with Rick and a call from Joan Lamere about string specs and cost. Going to have to buy some clamps though haha.

Best wishes,
    Biagio

balfour-knight
    Participant

That all sounds great, Biagio! Happy harp building!
    Our very best wishes,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

Biagio
    Participant

Just for kicks and giggles, I added up the costs and compared that to a roughly equivalent harp: the Dusty FH36H at $5595 (excludes case, includes full Camacs).

The Cheyenne upgrade, assuming someone had all necessary tools and did not charge themselves for labor and overhead, will cost $3060 (full Truitts). If you just bought the wood and cut to shape you might save around $1500 over the pre-cut kit but spend a lot longer making it; perhaps another 5 days or more.

Add labor and overhead at $50/hr 35 hrs: $1750, total $4810. From scratch add $1250 and we’re up to about $6000 Not such a huge “saving” over the Dusty’s $5595 right? About 15% which is a typical profit margin for a pro.

Good harps are not cheap no matter if you buy or build (but we knew that)!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Biagio.
    leisesturm
    Participant

$50/hr.??!! Any low/mid tier Civil Servant can make that. A craftperson at the top of their game should make much, much more! (IMO).

Biagio
    Participant

I was being very conservative and considering the opportunity costs to me as a retired guy with time on my hands:-) But it’s a fact: no one makes harps expecting to get rich. Or even reasonably well paid compared to the alternatives open to many of them.

For example: Dave Thormahlen was a geology graduate when he got side tracked by harps, Chris Caswell a physics major, Ray Mooer (Dusty Strings) dentistry, Mark Blessley physician, Rick Kemper engineer. I had dual careers: Intelligence officer and corporate financial consultant.

I guess some people do stuff for love more than money huh?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies