bernhard-schmidt

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Cleaning harp strings #164691
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    hallo,

    since we had a similar question at the German forum I made a test with a product named

    in reply to: Cheap pedal harps? #68462
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    I been watching this thread a while… I would be happy if my English could be better to write what I feel nessecarry

    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Patricia,

    thank you for the reference.

    Yes, with a midi harp it is possible to write direct into a natation software via MIDI.
    This works for full chords….its like playing a keybord…but with the midi harp you stay with your instrument. There

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87772
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Tacye,

    first, sorry for the delay of my reply.
    Yes that is right. The plucking of the string has not a so much significant effect to the pitch.It’s truth that a inharmonicity (dont know the correct english term)of the string because of the stiffness

    in reply to: Strange sounds called ‘woofs’. #164583
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    I just read the post of Janic again…and it is also very important what he is writing.
    Thank you for pointing that one.

    ++If it occurs at only specific locations, it might be more of an ambient sonic issue, which is still a real pain.++

    Because every hollow body even kitchen, musicroom, harpbodys even landscape have all there own wolf and special resonance places.

    If you

    in reply to: Strange sounds called ‘woofs’. #164582
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    The only cure a harpist could do by herself / himself is to change the particular string where the wolf occurs. But the mass of the string must be changed by increasing or even degrade the diameter of the string slightly.
    Just to change the brand of the string will not help because the diameter can be

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87768
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Let���s go back to the 4 meter example of harp. The several overtones which are produced by plucking a string have an almost exact frequency distance from the fundamental tone. By increasing the diameter of the string the position of the overtones becomes more away from the fundamental tone. By increasing the string diameter again (next octave) the stiffness of the strings is getting more and more and the overtones getting more away from the fundamental tone. At the end you tune with a tuner and you will have exact fundamentals but the overtones are out of tune. The first 5 overtones can be as loud as the fundamental. So you can imagine, the first, the fundamentals are in tune to each other and the other produced overtones are not.

    No pianist would say that his instrument is in tune and no one would do a concert

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87767
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Tacye,
    Sorry I have to be the devils advocate here I guess.
    But the way of tuning you describe is not a correct stretch-tuning.
    It is a common misinterpretation of stretch-tuning to playing the harmonics.
    This does not automatically stretch the tuning.

    The reason why it is not working this way is because you need the real plucking of the string.
    The string needs the force which brings the string out of alignment to produce amplitude / a vibration. This way, the harmonics of a swinging string are produced correctly.
    The way you did describe the tuning it is the pure mathematically 1:2 way which produces an octave?.nothing more and nothing less.

    The reason of making a stretch-tuning is only because the stiffness of the strings becomes higher at the bass and getting higher at the treble?while the result is opposite from bass to treble.

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87765
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Saul,

    from my side a big Bravo….but

    in reply to: Strange sounds called ‘woofs’. #164579
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Evangeline, no, this is no wolf

    in reply to: Strange sounds called ‘woofs’. #164574
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Yes , that’s it.

    I

    in reply to: Strange sounds called ‘woofs’. #164571
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    I read this article and I must say it’s not very correct

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87761
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Kathlee,

    Sorry, I was not talking about the tempered tuning.

    I was talking about tuning the harp in tune with itself.

    Because the stiffness of the thicker strings at the lower range results in a non-linear warping of the harmonic serie that run contra to the ideal tuning of each octave.

    Regards

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87758
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Sorry to

    in reply to: lever harp vs. pedal harp #145115
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

    Maria,

    >..I just thought that it would be a neat instrument if someone could figure it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 170 total)