harpcolumn

Strange sounds called ‘woofs’.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Strange sounds called ‘woofs’.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

I just read the post of Janic again…and it is also very important what he is writing.
    Thank you for pointing that one.

++If it occurs at only specific locations, it might be more of an ambient sonic issue, which is still a real pain.++

Because every hollow body even kitchen, musicroom, harpbodys even landscape have all there own wolf and special resonance places.

If you

Victor Ortega
    Participant

Bernhard, I agree… it seems that every room and every container has one or more such things, which I like to call “resonant frequency” (a term I picked up from physics).

John McK
    Participant

I actually have experienced this phenomenon myself –

I had just gotten a new electric guitar ( nice Rickenbacker, actually) and noticed a very, disconcerting warbling in the upper registers. I took the guitar apart, changed strings, changed amps, etc. etc. for a few days on end. I nealy retuned the guita because I couldn;t figure out why it was behaving poorly.

It turned out that the source of the warble was the ceiling fan in my livingroom 🙁

vince-pierce
    Participant

The light fixtures in most of the practice rooms at my school (which might as well all be one big room, since there’s no soundproofing) all seem to vibrate on B or A. Makes playing in a woodwind quintet no fun for the bassoon and horn. I think this summer I’ll make a habit of taking the harp downstairs out of the practice room into a place where it can really sound like a harp.

I’ve noticed one thing, though I’m sure it’s not a wolf sound, but on our Salvi Iris, when I play the lowest E string, it buzzes like crazy (even when I play softly) unless I pluck it extremely carefully. This doesn’t happen on our other harps (LH 17 and 23). Is the string too old, or am I just playing it wrong? And also, if I want to play a really loud octave in the bass, how do I keep from getting the false string effect? It seems to happen when I play a low octave with a flat hand, 3 & 4 on the lower octave string and thumb on the upper note and try to play ff. Maybe I should just be more delicate? I want the loudest, most resonant sound say, on lowest two G’s. Should I play it normally with 1 and 4 open, or as I did before, with flat hand and two fingers on the lower note? Thanks (and sorry for being a little off topic).

Vince

unknown-user
    Participant

Ah, yes – resonant frequencies and interrupted sound waves – I ran into this a couple weeks ago doing some hospice playing in a home – I was set up under a rather low ceiling fan in the lady’s bedroom -running at a medium low speed –

unknown-user
    Participant

John, which striings were affected when the harp was in a corner?

unknown-user
    Participant

the low and mid range felt like it was booming out the most – the effect thinned out somewhat in the top range –

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies