column

Student Book

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Student Book

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

What is a good book of music for a girl (14yrs old) who is at an upper beginner/low intermediate level.

I would think Sam Milligan’s Medieval to Modern Book 2, OR Danses pour le dauphine would be good choices.

kay-lister

You know – it’s disappointing to see that only one person responded to this quest for information (Thanks June).

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hey, Kay, be fair. I didn’t respond because i couldn’t possibly answer this question without more information: what’s she playing now, what kind of music does she like? Where does she want to go with this?

It’s not like there’s a generic book that comes Clunk! out of the slot for this question (although I think both of Briggs’s suggestions were excellent).

kay-lister

Sorry – rough evening that seems to have extended into my morning.

Kay, have you tried any of the Andres books with her? Automates has some very nice things — some of which aren’t that simple and will push her.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>had several pieces memorized perfectly

Can you give us some examples?

kay-lister

Barbara – I will have the names for you tomorrow. Briggsie – good idea, I have several Andres books that might interest her.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Kay- I don’t have any specific suggestions for you because I almost never teach that level anymore. But I do want to make a few suggestions. If the girl is doing it for her enjoyment, then be very sensitive to her likes and dislikes. When it’s time to assign a new piece, give her a choice of two or three different pieces at the same level. The one she likes is the one she will work hardest on. Also, keep the pieces short, like one or two pages. There’s a greater sense of accomplishment that way. And keep an eye on possible performance opportunities for the pieces you assign. Student recitals, church, etc. That will give here goals to work towards and a greater motivation to finish the piece she starts. And one more thing. Don’t ever be afraid to withdraw a piece you assigned her if it’s not going well. I’ve got a very good student at the moment and assigned him the First Arabesque of Debussy a couple of months ago. After 3 lessons on it, he told me that he just didn’t like the piece and could we do something else. I pulled out the Tournier Theme and Variations, which is quite a long piece(15 pages I think). He loved it and we’re almost finished with it. He memorized the whole thing and has all but the last two or three pages at performance level now. It’s not worth flogging a dead horse.

kay-lister

Thanks Carl,

I have just recently had a book of pieces published that is good for intermediate to advanced harpists, and all the pieces work on both lever and pedal harp. All the original pieces are melodic and accessible to listen to, and there are arrangements of Black is the Colour of My True Love’s Hair, Sleepers Awake, and the Flower Duet from Lakme. Six of the pieces will be in the new Royal Conservatory Syllabus. I’ve had really good feedback already from those harpists and teachers who have bought it. It’s available from http://www.theavondalepress.com.

kay-lister

Barbara – Was not able to get hold of my student last night so I will get back with you on the names of those pieces.

Thanks to others for your input.

Kay

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.