harpcolumn

How do I know if a chord sounds right?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists How do I know if a chord sounds right?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Simona Millham
    Participant

Hello folks

I’ve been learning harp since June 08 and I’ve had regular lessons but at the moment my teacher is taking a few months off while she has twins.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

One way is to use your eyes as much as your ears. If you can see that one string isn’t vibrating or is vibrating much more than the others, that means you need to put in some more work. It helps to place the three notes and then practice playing each finger individually, too. Don’t always do this in the same pattern, like 321, though. Do 231, 132, 312, etc, as well.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I mean to leave the other fingers placed while you play the single strings. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Simona Millham
    Participant

Thank you very much – I’m trying that right now, and yes, I must say I am amazed at how inconsistent the volume of the notes is when I play them in a different order! DEFINATELY something to work on there!

That’s the rest of my evening sorted then 🙂

Tacye
    Participant

Can you tell by ear a major chord from a minor one?

Simona Millham
    Participant

Tacye that’s interesting. Yes, I think it makes sense.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Another good thing to practice is finger independence.

To hear it perfectly balanced, play each note with your second fingers and then try to match it.

Simona Millham
    Participant

Thank you again, all, for the excellent advice.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Good for you, Simona! If you keep at it it always improves, sooner or later. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics