harpcolumn

First Wedding Gig

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists First Wedding Gig

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I am playing my first wedding gig in about a month.

joan-steinberg
    Participant

Once the bride is up front you gracefully end your wedding march.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

That’s what I feared.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Please don’t fear! You don’t have to know a lot of theory. All you need to do is end a phrase, play a V/7 chord followed by a I chord, and you’re done.

Trust me, no one who is listening will know that you didn’t play the processional exactly as it was written. It really and truly isn’t necessary to practice several different wrap up points.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

After practicing yesterday, I think what I may end up doing is skip the middle section of the Wagner.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

The rule of thumb is to play to the end of your contract or until the room is empty, whichever comes first, provided you aren’t playing the cocktail hour.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Sherry,

Can the V/7 chord followed by a 1 chord be used to end any song?

For an “Amen” ending to a hymn it’s a IV-I chord.

Jennifer

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Thanks Jennifer!

Cheryl

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Get this!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Both her requests, no Wagner, and Canon for the Bride, are actually very common, Sidney. You should find out which part of the Canon she wants, though, since you probably won’t have time to play much of it; does she want the slow part or the faster part?

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

The nice thing about using the Canon for the processional is that you can be quite flexible about the length of it, and the pacing works well for making an entrance. I also like to use Monteclair’s “Air” from “Festes de l’EtĂ©” as an alternative to Wagner’s Bridal March. It has a “grand march” sound, and is also easier to end in various places. There’s an easy version in one of the “Medieval to Modern” books, and Suzanne Balderston’s Wedding Book has a version of this piece, too.

lorraine-wiley
    Participant

Hi,

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

The secret is that I have been performing since I was at least 8.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m about to play my first wedding too, in a few months. Luckily, the bride (a close friend) gave me plenty of time to practice. She also wants Paco Bell’s Canon but she asked me if I could integrate it with– get this– the DJ. I love her too dearly to contradict her musical choice at her own wedding, so I said yes immediately and regretted it as soon as I started thinking on the way home. Have any of you done this before? It is this DJ http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/bands_djs_entertainment.html and he’ll be playing CDs. I’m not sure which song yet– the bride still has to make up her mind. Do you have any suggestions? Does it seem feasible? Thank you,

sarah

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies