barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Different type levers- what’s the difference? #74908
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You can force it, but the adjustable pin are something I’ve not seen with other levers. I’ve owned harps with lovelands before and they all have plain old pedal harp style bridge pins, which are not at all the same thing to work with. I realize that this is how technicians do it, but it’s nowhere near as user-friendly as the adjustable pins.

    As someone who lives where there’s really nobody who does lever harp regulations (there’s one guy who will reluctantly do them, but he’s clear across the state and takes a ‘good enough for a government job’ kind of attitude towards a lever harp), the ability to easily make adjustments is a major, major thing for me. I would not feel at all comfortable trying to regulate my prelude, for instance.

    in reply to: Different type levers- what’s the difference? #74900
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >What I don’t like about the Truett and Camac levers is that there is virtually no adjustment available when you want to regulate them.

    But for camacs that isn’t how you normally do fine regulation on them. You adjust them by screwing the bridge pin in and out. I agree that for the smaller levers if you need to make a very large adjustment that needs the lever to be moved there’s not much room, but there’s at least as much as there is on lovelands on the larger ones.

    in reply to: Has anyone tested the new Harpo trolley? #75139
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I haven’t used the harpo, but since you mention wanting something to move a harp in a base cover, the harp connection website specifically mentions that it doesn’t work well for that.

    in reply to: New Web page #159688
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hello, Jaque. It looks like a fun site, but when I click any link it downloads the .cgi file instead of displaying a page (safari, OS X 10.6.2)

    in reply to: Different harp comparisons? #75159
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    All the harps you’ve mentioned are from reputable makers. You should try them all and pick the one that speaks to you. Each harp is different, even the exact same model in the exact same wood.

    in reply to: Harp bench and Stand #75173
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > I want to replace the brass rod rather than buy a new stand any advice?

    Your best bet is to contact Lyon and Healy and see if you can buy just the part, then find someone local to do the replacement. However, they may not have them available anymore.

    in reply to: Book with compete Nutcracker harp part #151030
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I think the one you’re thinking of (with Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty) is published by Lyra (International Music Service). It’s not every note in the ballet, but it covers all the main spots and it also includes one-harp versions of the important places.

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159606
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I think that explains the problem.

    Sure does. I’ve always been glad I’m a harpist–one look at the wikipedia entry for “harp” when wikipedia was first getting going taught me all I needed to know about ever using it as a reference source for anything. 🙂

    in reply to: harp cases #74730
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Janice. The cordura isn’t scratchy on the wood? I was wondering about that.

    in reply to: harp cases #74728
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Janice and Ruth, I have a question for you: what do they use for the reinforcing material on the inside of the case? Their website makes it sound like it’s the same as the exterior material.

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68634
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, I’m sorry it came across that way, Janice. I just meant that it’s a kind of music that needs a lever with a good tone once the lever is engaged (which they do have), more than levers that go zippity-do. I like truitts fine for celtic music, for instance, but not so much for flippy playing.

    Incidentally, as far as your comment about people not liking camacs when they first came out, that’s absolutely right. Camac’s first levers were really awful. They’ve been through at least 6 or 7 different lever designs, and I expect they’ll probably change again in the near future. Nobody has a perfect lever yet.

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68632
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >who seem to think that it is a lesser music than Classical

    That’s an odd assumption. The mere fact that it’s less chromatic isn’t the same as “lesser”, but it is certainly less chromatic. Does one assume that classical period music is lesser than jazz, then, because jazz is usually more chromatic?

    I apologize for mistyping your name.

    in reply to: harp cases #74724
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also check out Coon Hollow:

    http://www.coonhollowcanvas.com/musicalinstrumentcases.html

    Don’t have personal knowledge of them, but I think they exhibited at Big Sky last summer.

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68630
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Interesting, Janet. Myabe they’ve made some changes since I saw them, but I thought the fact that the entire lever was colored red or blue for the Cs and Fs gave an effect very like the old red, white and blue plastic levers that L&H used on the Troubadour 2 or 3. Ah well, there are people who find one harp model the most beautiful ever while others look at it and say “Yuck!” so I guess that’s just a taste question.

    I tend to use my levers a LOT and I found it extremely difficult to make double changes (one up, the one next to it down), which is not very hard with any other brand of lever. I never had a problem using a fingertip for most lever brands above middle C on most harps, though, so again I suppose it’s just a question of how you’re used to using your levers.

    Different strokes, I guess. I can see that they’d probably be fine for something like Celtic music, but unless they were significantly less expensive than Camacs or Truitts, I don’t really see an advantage, but that’s just my opinion.

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68627
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Still clinging to those silly handles, I see. Sigh. I really didn’t care for these when I tried them in Asheville. Very distracting looking, in-your-face kind of design and hard to see and operate from the player’s perspective.

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 1,501 total)