Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
May 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm in reply to: Suggestions for flute/harp or violin/harp music (lever harp) #158981
barbara-brundage
ParticipantBecky and Ernie Brock at Arriere-Cour productions have several very nice books of flute and harp music, all arranged for lever harp.
For a harp/piano duet, Les Pins de Charlannes by Renie is pretty, simple piece.
Offhand I can’t think of any arrangements of the swan as a duo with lever harp (if you can do the levers in the harp part, you’re usually advanced enough not to need an arrangement). There are a few solo arrangements for lever harp (including mine, but it’s pretty tricky–the others are easier).
barbara-brundage
ParticipantWhat a lovely gift, Sidney! Such a cute little harp, too.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYeah, with that big chunk out of the front of the crown–I’m sure they Juuusst bought it.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIt’s a gold 23.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIt’s not going to make your strings go ping, ping, ping, especially if they’re nylon, but by making worn spots it will weaken them and make them false. I’d bet money that if you replace those strings at this point that you’ll see quite a difference in how your harp sounds.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantWell, yeah, they probably will, but what of it? They can only badmouth you to three groups of people;
1. Other musicians, most likely other harpists, and we’ve all heard the “they backed out on me!” story often enough to know what that’s worth.
2. The other wedding vendors, who by now know all about them and what their stories are worth. After all, they’ve been dealing with them, too.
3. Their friends, who are probably just like them, so they’re doing you a favor by steering them away. 🙂
barbara-brundage
ParticipantWell, it sounds like you’ve pretty much got it sorted, then, because that’s the best way to do it–just be sure to remember which ones to tune to flat rather than to natural. 🙂
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI presume she meant she was tuning in natural with levers disengaged, which would explain why she had to tune so far.
Asha?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIsn’t that what I said?
barbara-brundage
ParticipantDo a google search restricted to this site for “Pakistani harps”.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOh yes, definitely it’s a good idea to get the maker’s policy in writing, I agree.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantAlthough I should say that I would expect a pedal harp company that also makes lever harps to have the same policies for either. I was talking about the folks who specialize in lever harps.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantI’m talking about lever harps, Maria. Sorry that wasn’t clear.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantThat’s fine, but just for the benefit of others reading this thread, it’s quite usual for reputable makers to take back harps if people aren’t satisfied–they wouldn’t stay in business long if they forced people to keep instruments they didn’t like.
barbara-brundage
Participant>Unlike Thormahlen, Dusty also offers the buyer the ability to ship the harp back if it isn’t what is needed.
I’m glad she’s pleased with her dusty, but I think this is incorrect. I know that the Thormahlens have bent over backwards even for undeserving customers in the past.
Anyway, either way she’s got a great harp.
-
AuthorPosts