barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Moving from lever to pedal harp… #158357
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Some pieces that I like for students transitioning at your level, because the notes are easy and you’re free to concentrate on getting your feet going:

    Dance of the Little Fishes (Dewey Owens, from Impressions on Pedal Patterns for Young Harpists)

    Song at Night and Ebbing Tide by Lucien Thomson

    All these were written specifically to teach pedals. For instance, Song at Night is meant to teach you the pedals on the left side of the harp, while Fishes is a study in moving the F pedal to all three positions while you play.

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158439
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You’re welcome, Deb. One thing about a harp like the prelude: You might find it helps to sit a bit higher than you might otherwise do, in order to be closer to the levers. (I don’t bother, but for some people it’s a help.)

    When trying out the harps, see if you can get arranged so that you’re comfortable for playing but you can also reach up to the low G lever without having to get up off your bench or do a lot of wiggling around to make the grab. If you can do that, you should be fine with about 99% of the literature (in all musical styles) that requires lever changes.

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158437
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, that’s my arrangement, and yes, t’s possible on a prelude. I was using a prelude(38 string version) when I did that arrangement. I always check everything on that harp to be sure it’s possible, although it’s a bit quicker on a low headed harp like a dusty.

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158435
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You know, Deb, I think you’re at the point where you have to let your heart decide. You’ve done the research; now go play those harps and pick the one that speaks to you, whichever model it may happen to be. 🙂

    in reply to: Tuners #73480
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The istrobosoft from Peterson works very well with an iphone, ipad, or the current ipod touch. (I found it was oversensitive with my older ipod touch and an external mic/pick up.)

    in reply to: folk harp range – 6th A and B #73475
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Check again for Clair, Deb. It only goes down to the C. I have a couple of pieces that have options for using the higher D and E if you have them, but nothing I’ve arranged requires more than the usual 36 string C to C range.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146821
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    That’s a shame, Barbara. I hope one of the other two works for you, but I suspect that more and more these days, pedal harp strings are probably coming from the same few makers, just rebadged.

    I still miss the old Vanderbilt Golden Gut–haven’t found anything in all these years that I like as well.

    Good luck, and let us know if you find anything.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146816
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, I know that. Sherry. I just mentioned it as an example of the sort of thing–there are plenty of people here who are old enough to have seen it at some time. Sorry that wasn’t clear, but I don’t think it’s circuitous given that the main problem is squeaky strings and this does help.

    in reply to: Classic gut strings #146814
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Back in the days before coated gut strings, when people also had problems with strings squeaking, the answer was moisturize your hands with a heavy cream moisturizer before bed. Miss Malone favored Paquin, as I recall.

    Just thought I’d mention this, since for some folks it might be worth a try before investing in a whole set of different strings.

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72853
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I think mid to late 70s. Is “yours” the scrolltop or the square capital model?

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72851
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Are there newer Angelicas? I thought they were all about that vintage.

    in reply to: Seeking Arrangement of “I Dreamed a Dream” #107783
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Back when I learned that tune that was the only way to get it, so I don’t know if there’s a single sheet that’s different/better than that arrangement.

    in reply to: Seeking Arrangement of “I Dreamed a Dream” #107782
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, sorry, Rod. I mean the book of all the music from the show.

    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Ah, gotcha. I thought you were objecting to the classical genre, not the classical period. 🙂

    in reply to: Seeking Arrangement of “I Dreamed a Dream” #107780
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’ve always just played it from the show book. It’s not a difficult tune, even on lever harp (I just do a da capo where it normally modulates when I’m using levers.)

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,501 total)