barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Buzzes from levers? #157732
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, the very first thing to do is take the harp into another room to be sure it really is the harp itself that’s buzzing. Very often buzzes that sound like they are coming directly from the harp are really sympathetic vibrations from an object in the room.

    in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71937
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, I mean here:

    http://lib.byu.edu/sites/harp/

    in reply to: Harp Amplification #72458
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, that’s a very good resource, but I think the best one would be to just ask the other harpists in your area (you’re still in S FL?) to show you what they use.

    One small caveat about Deborah’s book–it’s a lot of info, and in the real world you can get by not understanding everything it covers. I know plenty of harpists with successful gigging careers who manage without understanding almost anything it covers, but if you want to go into this knowing what you’re doing it’s a good place to start.

    in reply to: Harp Amplification #72455
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Lisa.

    Well, that’s sort of like asking, “How big is a house and how much does one cost?”. There are a lot of different answers, depending on a lot of different variables. Are you talking about amplification for background music, and if so, for how large a crowd? Do you mean stage performance, church services, solo, ensemble, etc?

    The least you can get away with is some kind of mic or pickup plus an amplifier and it can get a lot more complicated than that, depending.

    in reply to: Substituting glisses for arpeggios in Trio Sonata? #148437
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Was the trio also written for chromatic harp?

    in reply to: Digital voice recorder #72424
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also if you have any kind of smartphone, ipod, ipad there are apps for most of those, although of course it sounds better with an external mic, even the one from the earbuds. Not Zoom quality, but okay for practicing.

    in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71927
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, the Harp Archives would be the best place for them, Nancy.

    in reply to: Missing a measure in Ave Maria #157739
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I think you mean Gounod, Barbara, and not Schubert?

    in reply to: Moya Wright #106775
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The last I heard, Saul, she was working at IU for the Physics department. I think she was in charge of conference arrangements for groups coming to use their particle accelerator or something like that.

    in reply to: Idyllic Poem #148666
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >which you can buy from Vanderbilt Music.

    or on itunes

    in reply to: Con raghezza? #148635
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops, hit Post accidentally. It’s just that ‘con vaghezza’ makes no sense in that spot, and certainly Mr. Grandjany had no vaghezza at all there when he played it, so whatever it is, it’s almost certainly not that.

    in reply to: Con raghezza? #148634
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    No, it can’t be ‘con vaghezza’, not there.

    in reply to: Music for canadian harp exam? #148619
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops, sorry. I misread your thread to say you needed to know the pieces as well as how to get them.

    in reply to: Music for canadian harp exam? #148618
    barbara-brundage
    Participant
    in reply to: Con raghezza? #148630
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, I’d forgotten about that. Yes, I believe it’s from the lines in Purgatorio about

    “e se natura produsse mai raghezza di co-
    lori nelle varie parti del mondo, trovasi in quel luogo raccolto”

    so I guess you would interpret it as “spiritually shining” or something like that for that passage.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,501 total)