barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: sheet music for Yiruma’s ‘River Flows in You’ #156268
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Just updating this for future reference: I see Sylvia Woods now has a harp arrangement available:

    http://www.harpcenter.com/product/river-flows-in-you-harp-sheet-music/

    in reply to: Please help me make a sound decision… #68974
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The thing is, Troy, that you’re not getting many responses because almost nobody here plays the Paraguayan harp. I’m from S FL so I know a fair number of Paraguayan harpists but they all either make their own instruments or import them from harp makers in South America. I don’t know of anyone with any experience with any of the ones that interest you.

    I’d suggest you might want to try the facebook page for the Paraguayan harp. I think it’s Paraguayan-harp. Maybe somebody there would know more than the folks here.

    in reply to: Free Finale #104410
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > Are you aware that if you are a teacher at some institution you can acquire the Educational version of Sibelius at less expense?

    Also true for finale, and both have student pricing also.

    in reply to: Free Finale #104408
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Forgot to mention that I prefer to use articulations rather than a font for the diamonds because it’s easier to keep them in place. One-character text blocks tend to slip around a tiny bit, but a tiny bit is a lot when it’s on a staff.

    in reply to: Free Finale #104407
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The diamonds are in the articulations already, as harmonics for violins et al. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I’m just not sure that notepad will allow you to increase the size enough to make them easily readable.

    in reply to: Free Finale #104405
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    What wouldn’t be easy to do in notepad (and it’s not so simple in full finale either) is angled placing brackets.

    in reply to: Free Finale #104404
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, there’s nothing you can do in Sibelius you can’t do in Finale, but I’m not sure what all is in notepad these days. I expect that if you download the free finale font pack you can do pedal diagrams (those are done with the Engraver H font), and I would have said you can’t easily do lever notation diamonds except that I see that they say that the current version can do percussion notation, so maybe. A muffle symbol is the letter p in the Tamburo font.

    in reply to: My Imortal by Evanessance Harp Sheet Music #156406
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    David Ice has arranged Fields of Gold for harp. You can get it from Vanderbilt:

    http://vanderbiltmusic.com/

    along with much other popular music that they’ve published. Harp.com is another good source for popular music for harp, as is Sylvia Woods (harpcenter.com).

    I don’t know of a published harp arrangement of My Immortal, but you can get a piano version from musicnotes.com.

    in reply to: Florence and the Machine sheet music #104427
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You’re welcome. The only bad thing about musicnotes and lever harp is that you can’t see more than the first page as a preview, so sometimes there’s a nasty surprise in the form of a section that’s too chromatic or a bad modulation, but usually their stuff is pretty easy to adapt.

    in reply to: Florence and the Machine sheet music #104425
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    http://search.musicnotes.com/?q=Florence+and+the+Machine&search_id=Top&hl=n

    You should be able to figure it out from the piano versions. I doubt anyone has bothered publishing any harp arrangements, but I could be wrong.

    in reply to: Bronze Touch up for L&H harp #70349
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > I think L&H’s bronzed harps were painted rather than leafed

    I’m pretty sure they use regular bronzing powders.

    in reply to: Play lever harp pieces on pedal harp? #156421
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Well, you’ll find the same thing pretty often in piano music. Part of playing the pedal harp is get good at learning when you need to substitute the enharmonic note for the written one. It’s a basic skill for pedal harp playing, so you should be fine with a little practice at it.

    in reply to: Songs by Adele on harp? #104441
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    But all the wedding requests I get anymore are inappropriate, Kreig. Last Saturday for instance, for the prelude they wanted:

    Bittersweet Symphony (you’re a slave to money, then you die)

    Under the Bridge (my sweetie left me, I went under the bridge to shoot up)

    With or Without You (I can’t live, with or without you)

    Hallelujah (All I ever learned from love is how to shoot at someone who outdrew you)

    and so on. Of course, in fairness, the tragic love songs (Romeo and Juliet, Titanic, etc) have always been more popular, but everything now that I get asked for is pretty harsh. Nobody ever asks for Marry Me by Train, for instance, or Love Story by Taylor Swift. They do occasionally ask for Marry You by Bruno Mars (I’m looking for something dumb to do, Hey Babe, I think I want to marry you).

    in reply to: Play lever harp pieces on pedal harp? #156419
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The only thing you would really need to watch out for is that when you move a pedal all the strings with that note change together. So sometimes in lever harp pieces you may have a chord with a C# on top and a C natural on the bottom in a lever harp arrangement, for instance. On the pedal harp you would need to think to use D flat for the top note instead, or else B# for the bottom one, as an example. But you won’t find that sort of thing very often.

    in reply to: Songs by Adele on harp? #104438
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Set Fire to the Rain also works well on harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,501 total)