balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,381 through 1,395 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Question about string spacing…. #187271
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Biagio,

    Just thought to measure from middle C up to the next C on my L&H 85GP–it is 4 inches. From there up to the next C is only 3 and 3/4 inches, for a total of 7 and 3/4 inches. On my Musicmakers Large Gothic, these two octaves are 4 inches and another 4 inches giving a total of 8 inches. I thought your measurements sounded a little wide for the middle octaves of the harp, but lower down on the harp, the spacing is wider. I can measure those for you if you like.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Just saying…..new harp comment #187258
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Sylvia,

    I will have to remember that, ha, ha! So many times when someone says something like that to me, I can’t come up with a good “comeback.” Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great day,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Learning Harp Regulation & Maintenance? #187257
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Carl, I’m so glad to hear that your book is still in print and available. It should NEVER be unavailable since it is, in my humble opinion, the very best of its kind on the market.
    My best to you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question about string spacing…. #187241
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Great answer, Biagio! I have often read that no string spacing is actually “standard,” but I do know that the Ravenna 34 and the L & H 85 GP (44 strings) are exactly the same for the given 34 notes they share in common. This is NOT true for larger pedal harps–the bass strings are further apart, as I have measured on concert grand (47 string) harps at The Atlanta Harp Center. This is all very interesting, and is a fascinating study!

    in reply to: Question about string spacing…. #187239
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Danamarie,

    I do not know about the other harps you mentioned, but I do know that Dusty Strings uses standard concert spacing on all their harps, and medium to firm tension which is just a bit lighter than concert pedal harp tension. Check out their website for all the details. I love my Ravenna 34, and I can easily go back and forth between her and my L & H pedal harp. My Musicmakers Large Gothic does not have standard string spacing, but has a bit wider spacing, so it takes a little longer to adjust to. Hope this helps!

    Best thoughts to you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Learning Harp Regulation & Maintenance? #187235
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, all,

    Carl Swanson’s book is called A Guide for Harpists and is one of the best books on harp maintenance, care and repair that I have ever seen. The edition I have is from 1984 and harps have changed since then, but a harp technician could fill you in on the differences. I also have to drive three hours to Atlanta, GA for a harp regulation, and it has to be when a harp tech is “in town” since there is not one on staff at The Atlanta Harp Center. I do my own adjusting in between professional regulations on my pedal harp, and all the regulations on my two lever harps, since I am also a piano technician and understand the mechanical process of regulating a harp. I’m just not quite a harp tech, yet, ha, ha! I hope this helps!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Travel Harp #187234
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Biagio,

    The Wickford Hummingbird harps seem to be the ultimate in travel harps! I have not seen one yet, but hope to. Maybe at the SEHW (Asheville, NC) in October?

    Emma,

    Thanks for that “minstrel” photo! That gives new meaning to “travel harp,” ha, ha!

    Have a great day, all of you!
    Balfour

    in reply to: This made me smile. :) #187211
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Andelin! That made our day–so cute!
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: Travel Harp #187210
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, I’m glad you folks revived this forum! I have harpist friends who LOVE the Ravenna 26 for use as a travel harp, and I have had great success with the larger Ravenna 34 as my favorite travel harp also! The 34-string will fit across the back seat of any car I have had her in for transport. She also has a nice shoulder strap AND backpack straps for carrying her a longer distance. I agree with Biagio, I have to have the lower range to feel like I am playing a REAL harp, down two octaves below middle C. I bet I would have to buy an extra seat on an airplane for Ravenna, though!

    Best wishes to all of you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Cruise ship job!!! #187174
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Oh, Carl, I wish I were free to take this job! It would be “right down my alley,” but I have too many prior commitments this May-June to even think of doing it. I know the right person will absolutely love doing it!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question about harp types #187173
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    That’s great, Biagio! Incidentally, I was just about at the point of wanting to build my own harp when I discovered this Ravenna at the Atlanta Harp Center three years ago! She was so nice in every way that I knew I could not build a better harp than her, so I purchased her on the spot. I have taken her out on more gigs already than my other two harps combined. She also amplifies well when I have a good sound person to set it up for me as I need it. For the price, I believe this is the best little harp you can get.

    Sincerely,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Disability issues, thinking of returning to the harp #187167
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Fied, I could not bear the long finger nails, either. I studied classical guitar as a child and later as an adult, and went NO WHERE with it. The nails interfered with my keyboard playing, so I concentrated on the harp. The calluses you get from playing the harp are also on the sides of your fingers instead of the tips, so harp playing is entirely compatible with keyboard playing. I play classical guitar pieces on my pedal harp, and they are very nice!

    Best regards,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Disc Mechanism on All Strings? #187166
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks so much for responding, Kreig! That all sounds plausible to me. Wonder what Carl Swanson would say?

    in reply to: Question about harp types #187156
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I LOVE my Ravenna 34! Go to Dusty Strings’ website and read my testimony about this great little harp!

    in reply to: Moving Between Lengths and Strides #187155
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    So true, Biagio! Carol Lynn and I have an upcoming performance for voice and lever harp (my Large Gothic) along with a concert pianist and additional soprano. We will talk between sets to transition from one selection to the next, and the audience is always very responsive. Also, Janis is very correct about sleep and what you eat before the performance!

    My very best to you all,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 1,381 through 1,395 (of 1,492 total)